A tongue ring and pregnancy?

I got my tongue pierced before I found out I was prego. When I found out I wasn't sure if this could affect my baby. Does anyone know... because if it does I'm taking it out ASAP! (I'm only about a month)

Shanti0327

Asked by Shanti0327 at 12:52 PM on Dec. 2, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I don't see where it would have any effect on the baby. Although they will ask you if you have any piercing or tattoos in the last six months, I am not sure if would be because it makes you more susceptible to infections or the chance of disease, I just know that it is a question that they ask.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 12:55 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• The only thing that COULD happen is if the piercing place wasn't clean, you could have picked something up (like hepatitis C, I think). When you go back for blood work, mention the piercing and your concerns and I'm sure they'll check to make sure you're ok. Chances are, you and your baby will be fine.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 12:56 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• You're fine. If you went to a professional piercer with sterile tools there is little to no risk of infection, and that's your only real risk as far as the baby goes. I already had mine done before I was pregnant, but my son ripped it out (OUCH!) when I was pregnant with my second, so I talked to a doctor. It's the infection risks which you need to worry about, but for anyone who uses a pro, that risk is minimal. If you were asking SHOULD you go get it done, I would tell you to wait, but since you already did it, you shouldn't have any issues...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:57 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• you wont have a problem.. it doesnt have any effect.
    Luckybear05

Answer by Luckybear05 at 12:58 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I was fine with mine. They didn't note any concerns about it. You just have to take it out while you deliver. You can put it back in as soon as the baby is born.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 12:59 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Just keep it clean. Rinse with hydrogen peroxide. You'll be fine. I have mine done too, but it's been in for about 2 yrs and I'm 5wks pregnant.
    Something else that's funny....I have my husband name tattooed below my belly, right above the pubis line and a heart. I got when my youngest was about 2yrs old. It's going to GROW now!!!
    Karkie22

Answer by Karkie22 at 1:09 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• LOL...Funny you should say that I have my husbands name tattooed right on my V-Line
    Shanti0327

Comment by Shanti0327 (original poster) at 1:11 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• My ob told me when i was pregnant with my son to take it out ASAP because it can cause infection thru u and go to baby's heart no matter how long you have had it weather it is metal or plastic.
    TatymMommi

Answer by TatymMommi at 2:17 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• mostly just fears of infection. take extra care with cleaning it. i have several piercing and have had no issues.
    AbsynthLynn

Answer by AbsynthLynn at 1:12 AM on Dec. 4, 2010

• I think as long as you keep it clean it should not be a problem
    MooNFaeRie30

Answer by MooNFaeRie30 at 8:57 PM on Dec. 6, 2010