My laptop will not start up...

Last night while I was on the laptop, a message from security popped up that said it had to shut down and restart to finish updating. It has done this before with no problem. This time though, the computer won't start back up. It says it can not be fixed on its own and shuts back off. Has this happened to you or does anyone know the best way to try and fix?? I'm afraid if I call Dell they will want to charge me $50 - $100 just to talk to me...

jekrmom

Asked by jekrmom at 12:55 PM on Dec. 2, 2010 in Technology

• Can you start it in safe mode?
    ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 12:58 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Not sure how to do that!! I am not very computer smart!!
    jekrmom

Comment by jekrmom (original poster) at 1:02 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Do you have it plugged in or are you running off battery?
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 2:13 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Turn on the computer and start tapping the F8 key to get into safe mode. From there, you can try to restore to a point BEFORE the update occurred. If that doesn't work you can try to reinstall Windows.

The instructions to do this are extensive. You'd be wise to Google "how to start in Safe Mode" and "how to restore in Windows _____" (whatever version you have).
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 7:18 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• @ michiganmom116 ~ my brother-in-law looked at it today and that was exactly what he did!! Now I know for next time!! Thanks!
    jekrmom

Comment by jekrmom (original poster) at 9:31 PM on Dec. 4, 2010