Can you blame her? adult content

Elizabeth Smart became infuriated Wednesday when a witness testified that Smart had discussed having a baby with Brian David Mitchell.

Smart stormed from the courtroom as psychiatrist Paul Whitehead was saying that reproduction seemed to be one of Mitchell’s motivations for allegedly kidnapping and sexually abusing the then- 14-year-old girl.

Whitehead — who treated Mitchell at Utah State Hospital and was called as a defense witness — testified that Mitchell had told Smart she would be reunited with her family in 10 years as the mother of a 10-year-old child. “Mr. Mitchell was talking with Ms. Smart about having babies. I think, at that point, Ms. Smart had picked out a name,” Whitehead said.

More at:

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/home/50787306-76/mitchell-whitehead-smart-barzee.html.csp

IMO, "storming out" paints a picture of a spoiled brat throwing a tantrum.  I think "left the courtroom abruptly" probably paints a more accurate picture.  I think she left because she was not only angry, but upset--and I don't blame her.

tinamatt

Asked by tinamatt at 1:00 PM on Dec. 2, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I do NOT blame her at all. She has been traumatized and the psychiatrist just added to it and discounted her ordeal.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 1:03 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I would have left as well. Sounds like the defense is using what happened with Smart as a convenient scapegoat for his horrid behavior. I hope the just doesn't buy it, his testimony/actions all along haven't shown him to be unstable, just a horny kid.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 1:07 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I wish they would stop the sensationalistic reporting on the court case. I wish people who don't know her would stop analyzing everything about her... She doesn't need it plastered with journalistic "creative liberties"... This isn't a soap opera, it is her life... JMO...
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 1:16 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I would have stormed out under those criteria as well.
    ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 1:04 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Sad I don't blame her either- so glad she is away from him
    littlejulie

Answer by littlejulie at 1:16 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• She seems to be a very strong woman and she is holding herself together wonderfully through all of this. I don't blame her for storming out.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 1:29 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• poor girl...to have endured all that and then have some quack say she not only was okay with it but was looking forward to it all is sick. i hope the paper is taking liberties with the story and that this isnt exactly the context the psychiatrist said these things. hell i wouldnt blame her if she gunned her kidnapper down in cold blood.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 1:32 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Of course this is typical legal maneuvering, to which the general public does not need to be privy. Her attny should have prepared ES for this eventual tactic- and given ES the freedom to avoid court that day. I do not blame ES for leaving!

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 2:38 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• She's held up very well under the circumstances; I'm not surprised that something finally made her snap.
    tinamatt

Comment by tinamatt (original poster) at 1:26 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• It's not enough that she was a victim for all those years that he was molesting, raping and brainwashing her and now they have to make it seem like she wanted to live like that! UGH!!! I don't know how anyone with a conscience, could defend someone like that man!
    agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 1:56 PM on Dec. 2, 2010