how do you get a 4 year old to stop taking the paper off the crayons?

he for some reason just wont stop! i told him if he took the papers off of the crayons he wouldnt know what color he was using,but he didnt care.....so i took them away from him and told him that if he was going to tear up things then he couldnt have them....he didnt like that at all but i was trying to teach him a lesson and it seems to have worked,hold on a second let me check on him because he has them back as of today.........UGH i should have known he would do it again.....any ideas ladies?

SMALLfry05

Asked by SMALLfry05 at 1:06 PM on Dec. 2, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I can see how you want to teach him to not tear things up. BUT as a mom of 5, the oldest of whom is 24, and the youngest is 4, I can tell you, I would let it go too. It is crayon paper. He won't always do this. Let him have the ones he already de-nuded and then add new ones as he matures.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:51 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• Dont give them crayons!
    Seriously - this is a normal child thing and you arent going to stop them.
    MrsDAP

Answer by MrsDAP at 1:08 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Let it go..we all did that. It won't kill a thing for the paper to be off. Eventually, he will have to peel it down to color.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 1:08 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Are you OCD? Why can't he take the paper off his crayons? He can tell the color by looking at them. It might feel better in his hand. It is helping his motor development to peel the paper off. I do not think that you need to control everything.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 1:09 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• The only thing I can say is pick your battles.
    iluvmm09

Answer by iluvmm09 at 1:10 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• The answer you seek is: Do nothing. Pulling paper off crayons is not a good example of "tearing things up" which needs to be corrected.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 1:15 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• OMG! Let the poor kid take the paper off HIS crayons if he wants to. What is the big deal? If you stop obsessing over it, he will probably stop doing it. Maybe he's bored. Buy him a Play Dough set or washable markers & paper. If he's quiet and entertaining himself why bother him?
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 1:21 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• ok, what do you want to hear/ Us lie and say, oh how could he? Put him in time out and make him wait until age 7 before he is allowed to use crayons. I mean, most of us don't care if the paper is torn off and most of us either did or do tear it off ourselves.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 1:23 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Learn to pick your battles, it's a crayon, not a big deal. IF you keep obsessing, he is going to pick up on your tendencies. Let it go.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 1:25 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• He isn't tearing things up. If he were doing that with books then maybe we would have advice to give you other than "let it go."
    ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 1:15 PM on Dec. 2, 2010