do you have junkfood in your house?

i sure do. i've always lived by the "everything in moderation" motto. junkfood is not consumed daily here but it is consumed. my mom allowed me to have the occasional cookie or chip and i am now 24 years old and healthy. i do not have diabetes or suffer from obesity. of course i do know that obesity is a problem in our country. but these are children who were allowed to eat whatever, whenever most likely. i find it sad that even "sugary cereals" are considered junkfood now. i also grew up on those and ate them almost everyday for breakfast. as does my 4 year old daughter who is tall, thin and active.

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 1:10 PM on Dec. 2, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• I'm glad you're one of the few people who know better then to believe into the hype. The hype that everything sugary, fatty, or otherwise causes obesiety. They say it as if almost instantly you grow an extra pants size. Eating Fat doesn't make you fat, eating sugar doesn't make you fat, it's the excessive amounts of those foods that can help you to become overweight. That's what a lot of people misunderstand, even those who advertise eating healthy commercially.

We don't normally have junk food in our home, but that isn't because it's junk food. We just are more prone to eat fresh fruit, so we buy more of that. Although we do consume the occassional sweet treat and I just recently made Peanut Butter Cookies. (Loaded with sugar). We know better then to believe the hype that eating one will make you fat. Moderation is the key to anything, because even fruit is loaded with sugar.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 1:18 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Yes and I am on WW. It's all about moderation. And not all obese kids or people are that way because of what they ate or from overeating. Some are that way from genetics, medications or medical conditions.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 1:20 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• We just started weight watchers here, so no more junk food for us. Im training my taste buds for low fat and non fat everything and its challenging. But, we are trying.
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 1:12 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Not really - it's not worth the money. Anything you can buy in a bag for $3 you can make yourself for a quarter without all the extra salt and chemicals.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:22 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Yes we have junk food but I buy alot more healthy food than junk food. We buy chips for hubbys lunch, we bought girl scout cookies (alot of them) to support DD's troop. We do have sugary cereals and ice cream in the fridge. I try to balance between healthy fruit and veggie eating and being able to have a treat when you want it.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 1:22 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Yes and No. I'm not Anti-Junk food, but my husband is way healthier than I am and won't touch junk, where I have NO self control, so I just don't buy it. We keep fruit snacks, animal crackers, etc for the girls, but usually Chips, cookies, etc don't get bought with our weekly groceries. I def bake sweets on occassion for and with the girls. For the Holidays I've made cookies, rice crispy treats, and monkey bread already.. I agree with everything in moderation. I let our 3 year old pick 1 box of any cereal, that's part of being a kid, and I'm all for pop tarts as well.
    KristaJo

Answer by KristaJo at 4:54 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I'm a "everything in moderation" mom as well. We have some junk food, and some healthy snacks. IMO, my kids are learning how to eat correctly. They understand that a balanced diet can include some occasional junk.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 1:29 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• of course
    girliemom0406

Answer by girliemom0406 at 1:34 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• We do have junk food in our house, not cookies and ice cream, but other kinds. My family eats it but we also eat very healthy meals. I don't want my kids to grow up never eating out or having never had a candy bar because I think that's all they would want to eat. Instead I want to teach them it's okay to eat these things as long as its not all they eat.
    I am a type 1 diabetic and have been for most of my life and I hate hearing people blaming over eating for this disease that I have had for over 20 years. I was not nor have I ever been over weight and I hate that people think being over weight is the only cause of the disease.
    OBImomma

Answer by OBImomma at 1:36 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Um, I probably do. Its time to go grocery shopping cause we are out of most stuff. I generally don't buy a lot of junk , mainly because I don't want to end up eating it lol
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 1:38 PM on Dec. 2, 2010