Does the "Xmas Spirit" neccessitate...

A religion?

gabrielle_x

Asked by gabrielle_x at 1:14 PM on Dec. 2, 2010 in Religious Debate

• Nope.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 1:18 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Christmas? Yes. The other holiday spirits necessitate their respective religions (or lack thereof)
    Gal51

Answer by Gal51 at 1:20 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• No it does not.
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 1:21 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Thought so, people keep saying that certain symbols are "religious" or that a religion claimed them..but I don't think of a Penguin as belonging to a certain religion. I don't see why it all has to be religious..can't I just celebrate my family and the month of December?!?
    gabrielle_x

Comment by gabrielle_x (original poster) at 1:21 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• No. I could see a bit of faith but not necessarly a religion.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 1:22 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• To me, "Christmas Spirit" means being joyful and giving - the holiday isn't about religion at all to me. I would imagine that to a Christian, part of the spirit would be religious. It depends on the person that's saying it.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 1:22 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• So, Gal..I celebrate Xmas, said like CH, and we celebrate by singing carols, hanging stockings, buying/decorating and later killing an Xmas tree, decorating our house, exchanging presents and leaving gifts for santa!

What exactly is it I celebrate because it has no religious ties at all.
    gabrielle_x

Comment by gabrielle_x (original poster) at 1:24 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I love penguins! Ever since the Flamingo's penguins left the bird habitat for Texas though, I don't get to see them anymore. Boo.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 1:24 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Nope, why would it? Christmas has largely become a secular holiday over a religious one.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:25 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I think that anyone can get into the holiday/Christmas festive mood as it's a national holiday with no religious overtones in most advertising and public events. However, I think that for the faithful, it can be a more a special and sacred "spirit" than for those who celebrate in a secular manner.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 1:46 PM on Dec. 2, 2010