my daughter who is 16 had been dating this one boy for abaut 8 months when he broke up with her she is still crasy abaut the guy and emotional; wreck

she cant sleep shes crying all the time and she is verry depreesed shes had a number of boys ask her out but she wont go out with them because she says she doesnt like them like she liked this other guy im at a loss i dont know what to do to help which she has come to me and said she needs my help she doesnt understand why she cant get this kid out of her head shes crying constantly anyone can help me out i would appreciate it thanks

bettyjean887

Asked by bettyjean887 at 1:19 PM on Dec. 2, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• She has to learn coping skills for life. He won't be the last one who decides she's not right for him. Let her work through it but be supportive. I bought ice cream for my daughter and we played songs and danced (acting silly) to help her. I liked the song It's My Party and I'll Cry if I want To. We danced until she quit crying and started laughing. I told her no matter what, I loved her and that's all that mattered! lol She finally got over him but it took a while.

Answer by admckenzie at 1:24 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• that happened to me, It took me a long time to get over him, but looking back no advice would have helped, its just time that needs to heal sometimes at this age.. just love her and support her and make sure you are staying around her often and trying to occupy some of her time to prevent bad thoughts..
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:25 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Therapy may be a great thing beacuse she could talk to someone outside the family and vent her feelings.
    bhoward87

Answer by bhoward87 at 1:27 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Your DD has had her heart broken for the first time and trust me momma it will not be the last. She needs to work though it and she will be there for her and give your shoulder to cry on. Have your ears open for her to talk to you and she will get though this. The first time your heart gets broken is the worst but she will get though this and she needs you to be there and remind her that she will find her sole mate one day. She is only 16 so she has plenty of time to find MR. RIGHT.
    Good Luck momma.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 1:28 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I am so sorry that your daughter is going through such a hard time- (and you too! i know how hard it is to have to stand back & watch one of your kids Heart Break-) i would tell you that this is pretty normal behavior b/c All of have to go through it at some point in our life but, it sounds like your daughter might need some counseling to help her deal with everything she is feeling- maybe you could contact her counselor at school to set up a meeting with her & help you figure out what other steps to take- I would just let your daughter know that you are there for her whenever she needs you- That is probably the best medicine of all- Wishing you lots of luck:)

daisyb

Answer by daisyb at 1:33 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• How quickly we forget what it was like to be 16, right? Give her a little extra pampering. Don't push her to start dating again yet. Take her out to do something fun just the two of you. Just talk - don't bring him up, but if she does let her get it all out. Let her know you love her and are there for her. Then encourage her to plan something with her girlfriends. It'll take some time, but she'll recover. I rue the day when I'll have to watch my sweet girl deal with this. We've ALL been there though!
    mrsfitz05

Answer by mrsfitz05 at 1:39 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Don't try and fix her and don't say any of those lame expressions like "there's plenty more fish...". Just be there for her and let her cry on your shoulder. Make all her favorite meals, watch all her favorite movies, take her shopping. Be there through the loneliness as she is sure to miss him.
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 1:46 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• She will get over him but it will take time, tell her that. Tell her that you know how bad this hurts, we all do. suggest that she goes and does something fun with friends (she doesn't have to date but just get together with the girls). Show her that you are there for her. Remember in high school this was like the end of the world.
    JLS2388

Answer by JLS2388 at 4:30 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I always say nobody has ever died from a broken heart. This was puppy love.. nothing serious. It probably hasn't been that long since the breakup. She just needs her time. If this is the way she copes then let her be. She will eventually snap out of it. and when she does all you have to is be there to let her know not to depend on any guy for anything and she doesn't need a guy to be happy. Right now you can try to talk to her if she'll let you and just be there for her. Ask her questions about the relationship and try to understand her. DONT JUDGE! Just be there for a shoulder to cry on, a listening ear. Just let your little girl vent. Show her she is not alone even if that guy is not in the picture.
    Shanti0327

Answer by Shanti0327 at 4:58 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Just make sure she's not pregnant and she should be ok after a while. Get her around other guys and they might get her interest
    Anonymous