Why cant we just accept each other?

I'm a Christian. Some of my beliefs are different than other Christians, to me, that's ok, for some, it's not. I know what our job as Christians is but there are ways to do it where you dont insult people. The non-Christians are not bad people. Some of their answers are quite intelligent and reading some of their non religious answers i can see that they are humanitarians and some of their answers knock my socks off, in a good way. My point is that although we all have different beliefs we should'nt knock each other, calling us mental or Christians telling the nons that they are going to hell. The debating can be fun and even educational, but why cant we keep it civil? You ladies have a terrific day!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:29 PM on Dec. 2, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• You're the kind of Christian that is most "Christ-like," IMO. Regardless of your religion, it's important to at least tolerate and respect differing opinions and beliefs. A dear friend of mine is Christian, I'm Buddhist, and we both have very good relationships with Mormons, Jews, Wiccans, and Atheists. We talk about religion sometimes and no one gets upset, it's respectful conversation.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 1:34 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• This is the same view I have. I know someone whose husband is just a little over the top if you ask me - Now, don't get me wrong, I know he loves God & wants to live by the book & that's great, but I don't see the point in talking to people the way he does. It offends people. How is that going to bring them to God? Before I became a Christian, I always hated them. I hated the idea of being in a 'group' that was so mean! But then I found some great people, and now I love the idea, minus the few that just go overboard.
    MommyLowry

Answer by MommyLowry at 1:38 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I love everyone on here, regardless of their faith, or lack of faith, or whatever name they want to call me. I also respect that everyone has the right to to their beliefs.
    kittieashy

Answer by kittieashy at 1:50 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• group hugAtta girl!!

Conley639

Answer by Conley639 at 1:50 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I think all in all the postings are mature and respectful - every once in awhile on of the CMers either wants to stir the pot or gets a jolly off a nasty posting.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 2:15 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I totally agree. There are nice ways of disagreeing without getting hateful and mean to a person of a different belief. This not only applies to discussions on religion but anything else.

Have a great day!
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 2:18 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Oh, ITA, there's no reason for things to get heated. Whether or not we agree, we're all equally deserving of respect and compassion, and equally called to being respectful and compassionate, regardless of what religion we affiliate with, even if none at all. :)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 2:19 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Amen sister! I feel the exact same way that you do and not only on this site but in life in general. My in-laws are not particularly fond of me because I have an accept all attitude and I disagree with their judgements on certain matters and certain people, they think it is unchristian of me to be so accepting.........hmmmm does that sounds a little warped to anyone else? But I know over the year my eyes have been opened by listening to the viewpoints of others-Christians and non Christians alike and so I do enjoy listening to others and learning about how and why they believe what they do.
    AshleyBishop06

Answer by AshleyBishop06 at 2:22 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I wholeheartedly agree; it's funny, I was just asking my BF this same question..
    Luvmyfam7

Answer by Luvmyfam7 at 2:31 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• You're the kind of Christian that is most "Christ-like," IMO. Regardless of your religion, it's important to at least tolerate and respect differing opinions and beliefs.

-----------

ITA with this. Thank you for being a good example of what it's like to be Christ-like. I enjoy hearing other opinions and sharing ideas, but I don't like when either side is really hateful to each other. This doesn't mean I'll never bring up anything controversial or unpopular just for the sake of debate or to hear others' thoughts, but I WILL try to not put anyone down for their beliefs or be intentionally disrespectful to another person about their beliefs and thoughts. I think we can all have compassion and tolerance of our differences whatever our personal beliefs.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 2:33 PM on Dec. 2, 2010