getting my son to pay attention in class.

my son's teacher told me today that he doesn't pay attention in class.he is only 4 so i'm kinda lost at how i can get him to start paying attention.any advice is greatly appreciated.thanks.

kb24

Asked by kb24 at 1:40 PM on Dec. 2, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Teacher here:....first of he is 4...his attention span is super short....second he is a boy and probably all he wants to do is go dig in the mud...lol

Dont worry or concern yourself right now. Just show him how proud you are of him for trying his best and tell his teacher that you will do what you can but as long as he is not hurting someone or being a disruption you dont want to focus on that right now :)
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 1:41 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Oh and also, depending on his age I might red shirt him for K next year...meaning...give him an extra year of preschool to mature and grow so that his attention span wont be an issue in K.... :)
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 1:43 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• By age I mean WHEN he turned 4....ok I will quit post hogging now...HAHAHAHA
    mom2twobabes

• Totally normal for a 4 year old. At that age, all you can do is work with the amount of time he is able to stay focused. That's the issue when teachers try to make 4 year olds pay attention, rather they should come down to the child's level.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 1:43 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• my preschool teacher who is also his daycare provider recently told me my son has a lack of focus or ability to "stay on task" he JUST turned 3 the begninng of the month - I think take it with a grain of salt and take it step by step
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:47 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Personally, I'd turn the question right back to his teacher. This can't possibly be the first 4 yr old she's encountered that has trouble staying focused and on task. Ask her how she's helped kids like yours in the past. I'd also ask what she expects of the kids. How long does she expect them to stick with a task? Will she (or the aide) offer redirection to help get him back on track? That will give you a better sense of whether her expectations are too high vs your child really being behind his peers. While I wouldn't be overly worried about it, if you trust the teacher's judgement and she gives you reasonable answers to the questions, keep an eye on the situation. If you feel there's an issue, talk to your school district about having your child evaluated. Our son proved to have an underlying problem that, once addressed, has resulted in dramatic improvement.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 4:45 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• At 4 I wouldn't expect an extremely long attention span, so I would definitely be asking the teacher what she means by that and what the expectations are that she doesn't think he is meeting...
    MomOnTheRun11

Answer by MomOnTheRun11 at 11:25 AM on Dec. 3, 2010