Do you not fit the stereotype of your race?

I was having a conversation on fb with a few people and they brought up how I don't act like a "black" girl. I don't dress the way they do, speak the way they do, listen to the music they listen to or even dance. I had to let themk now I'm not a black girl I'm an African American woman and a mother and I don't live by other peoples stereotype. Have any of you experience this? What are you and why don't you act that way? This is all in good fun so let's keep it that way please.

reigndrops12689

Asked by reigndrops12689 at 1:44 PM on Dec. 2, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I hate sterotypes, good for you in standing up to that nonsense!

I'm a SAHM, and play in a band. For some reason, a few people don't think that it's appropriate that a woman my age should be playing in bars. Guess since I'm 41 with 3 kids I should stay home relaxing in my mom jeans with my mom haircut and pine away for my DH to get home?
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 1:48 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• That's strange they would say that to you! I think we dress and act how we like to. We all like different kinds of music....I like it all, if it's good or if it sounds good to my ear. I haven't experienced this, at least I don't think so! My girls go to a school where most of the parents have huge homes and a lot of money. We don't. I think of myself compared to some of the other parents as "white trash" I love to wear jeans & a T or hoodie or jean shorts and a tank top. I don't own any dresses or dress clothes. I love to shop at The Buckle and always wear Sinful shirts!
    Karkie22

Answer by Karkie22 at 1:53 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Yes I do. My husband always mess with me. He says that if someone calls and asks to speak to him. And I answer they ask what race is his wife. And he let's them know his wife is black. Personally I hate when people say "you don't act black." Because I am who I am and part of that is my culture. I have 3 daughters and a son. And I raise them not to fit a stereotype. But to be different and not the norm. And I'm so sick of people thinking all black women have attitudes. I have had friends of many different races. And majority of the time I'm the only one without one. I'm glad I don't fit any stereotype and maybe one day we can do away with them and stop judging people by their race. But I totally feel what u are saying.
    True_Gator_77

Answer by True_Gator_77 at 2:06 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I think I can see where white people would say that to you. Speaking as a white woman, there are African Americans who seem more...shall we say ethnic, and then there are some who seem...well, more European for lack of a better word. Meaning, they don't use much slang, they don't have the distinct dialect that many black folks have. They don't wear the stereotypical types of dress. I mean let's face it, President Obama does not talk like Tupac and I highly doubt he would be in office if he had. I am not saying it is right or wrong, and I didn't make the rules or the stereotypes, but some African Americans just seem more "white" I live in a very African American neighborhood, and not many would ever be confused with those like Mr. Obama. I don't care what color you are, people can tell educated folks from those who are not. Not many whites here would be confused with a white President either lol.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 2:34 PM on Dec. 2, 2010