Do you think the government should be involved with making school lunch healthier, or should it be up to parents to send their children to school with nutritional choices?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 1:59 PM on Dec. 2, 2010 in

• Not all parents can send their kids to school with a nutritional lunch.

ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 2:01 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I think it should be a combo. The school is also responsible for the well-being of our children and it sets a good example if they offer healthy choices. I
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 2:02 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I think that first and foremost the parent needs to play the role in providing their children with healthy foods. My children are only allowed to pick one or two days to eat at school throughout the week and the rest of the time we make lunch at home. However, there are many children out there who only get their "good" meals at school because of certain income factors/social factors. In that case, I do believe that it is up to the government to make sure that our schools meals are balanced and healthy.
    ditchen4

Answer by ditchen4 at 2:03 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I think government funded schools should be doing what they can to provide nutritional options for provided meals - breakfasts or lunches. But I don't think they should step in when it comes to what parents send their kids in with either. If a parent sends in a child's lunch, they shouldn't have the right to decide it's not healthy enough or to limit what can or can't be sent in a packed lunch.

As for "class treats" or something like that that parents send, I can see limiting, because there are students with allergies. But something which is meant only for my child, should be up to no one but ME...

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 2:05 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I think we as parents are responsible for our childrens nutrition. If we as parents don't like what is being served then pack your child a healthy lunch.
    tony1638

Answer by tony1638 at 2:06 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I think its the parents decision and the government is over stepping their bounds and imposing on the family and how we raise our children. The government needs to take a step back in all aspects.

bjojola

Answer by bjojola at 2:08 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I think it should def be up to the parents...but then again I don't think the government should be involved in the education system at all jmo
    nkkk07

Answer by nkkk07 at 2:09 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• If we as parents don't like what is being served then pack your child a healthy lunch.

What about parents who can't afford to send lunch? Last years numbers stated that nearly 100,000 children in Pennsylvania alone had parents who could not afford to feed them beyond what they ate at school- which was a free lunch. When I was growing up there was simply no way my mom could have afforded to send me a lunch, had it not been for free school lunch, I would have had a lot of hungry days... Shouldn't those children have the right to have a healthy meal too? Especially if it's the only one they are getting?

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 2:10 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• neither - i think that if we provide school unches to kids, those lunches should be healthy. for many kids that is the only meail they eat. the least we can do is make it healthy. god knows how hard it is to get healthcare for those kids.
    FelipesMom

Answer by FelipesMom at 2:13 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• both, actually. school lunch should be healthy, especially for the less-fortunate children who have to eat it because of financial reasons at home. at the same time, parents who send lunch should make it nutritious. ultimately, what the parent sends to school is their choice though.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 2:14 PM on Dec. 2, 2010