Petitioning the School board? Or are there other options, advice needed.

We recently had to relocate back home. We were residing in MT, now ID. We had intended to wait till the school year was over, however that did not work out. My second child was in Kindergarten in MT. It was a full day program, and he had speech therapy. MT cut of date for k, is sep 10. Idaho's is sep 1, our son's birthday is sep 8. The school is now telling us that because our son does not meet the ID cut off time, he will have to go back to preschool. WE are trying to fight this, but need some direction. This would not be a positive change for him. He has excelled in his speech and social development, and I fear that sending him back to preschool will revert his progress. as it is, their kindergarten program in ID his still partial days, so the switch from full time to partial will be difficult enough. But to put him in preschool where the hours would be two days a week 8-11.... and his therapies would be done during those times as well, so his actual class time would be very minimal. Academically he was right on track for first grade. He knows his abc's, phonics, and can read most of the required sight words for entering 1st grade... all other areas he is right on track as well.

Any advice or suggestions would be welcome!! thank you in advance.

daughteroftruth

Asked by daughteroftruth at 2:02 PM on Dec. 2, 2010 in General Parenting

• I would get a letter from his old school and therapist talking about the importance of keeping him in Kindergarten now. I would also see if there is any testing that can be done in ID, to see if he can stay in K. Since he has speech therapy you should be able to get an advocate for you if they really aren't helping you.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 2:11 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• You could certainly try to petition the school board, but I don't know if that would work out...Is private school or homeschooling an option until next school year?
    nkkk07

Answer by nkkk07 at 2:13 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• We are looking at the option of private schools, however the closest one would be about 40 min away Homeschooling is an options, but I am not sure what would happen come 1st grade, they would probably not accept him. The school code states:

Idaho Code 33-201. School Age.
    The services of the public schools of this state are extended to any acceptable person of
    school age. "School age" is defined as including all persons resident of the state, between
    the ages of five (5) and twenty-one (21) years. For the purposes of this section, the age of
    five (5) years shall be attained when the fifth anniversary of birth occurs on or before the
    first day of September of the school year in which the child is to enroll in kindergarten.
    For a child enrolling in the first grade, the age of six (6)

So according to that.. If I am reading correct, we could homeschool him, but then he would still have to attend k again.
    daughteroftruth

Comment by daughteroftruth (original poster) at 2:18 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Public schools are so silly sometimes! Yes, there are rules for a reason but this is obviously one of the exceptions. If the school board does nothing I would homeschool him. I would then continue to homeschool him, just stay away from the government run schools.
    mom2queenie2004

Answer by mom2queenie2004 at 2:39 PM on Dec. 2, 2010