Baby falls asleep with bottle; can it cause tooth decay?

I have read once they even get one tooth, you should start wiping it off, or brushing it with an infant tooth "brush." I have started doing this, but I don't do it at night because he falls asleep drinking his bottle. He won't fall asleep any other way. Anyone's LO have tooth decay problems from falling asleep with his bottle?

CarriePM

Asked by CarriePM at 2:16 PM on Dec. 2, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yes it actually can cause tooth decay. Although I will admit that all of my children went to bed with their bottles and we have had no problems but according to the pediatrician it is not a good idea. I honestly think that as long as they are under 12 months and it isn't juice/soda/etc. that it should be alright.
    ditchen4

Answer by ditchen4 at 2:19 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I was just at the Pediatricians office yesterday, and when she saw my sons two bottom teeth, she told me to make sure I am not leaving him with a bottle to sleep at night because it can cause problems in the future.
    TsMommy428

Answer by TsMommy428 at 2:19 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• http://www.healthscout.com/ency/68/445/main.html

Seems to be more a problem in older babies, my 11 month old falls asleep with a bottle too ( she has 4 teeth and working on 2 more), but we are working on weaning and hopefully getting her to sleep with a lovey instead...we shall see....
    nkkk07

Answer by nkkk07 at 2:19 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

•  formula bottle rot. Formula has corn syrup in it.

BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:20 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:22 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• My daughter was two and never needed the bottle to fall asleep, until I found out her babysitter was giving her one! Later I notice her front top teeth just literally falling apart. It wasn't as bad as that previous pic but she needed surgery to put caps on and I vowed never again to do it to any other child and made sure the babysitters knew too. Also I realize it may be hard, but I've had three kids with one on the way, let him soothe himself. It will make everything a lot easier on u and him. Just try a little bit every night or try rocking him or a pacifier. But no bottle.
    Mommyfouru

Answer by Mommyfouru at 2:24 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• My son still wakes in the night to eat occasionally too. I can't be brushing his teeth all night. He is only 7 mos. old. This is crazy. I don't want his teeth to fall out, but I want him to be able to have his bottle before bed and not be awakened so I can clean his teeth. These are routines they tell you to create in the beginning, and now I have to disrupt everything because he has a few teeth. I wish I had never read the books saying nurse him to sleep... blah blah blah.
    CarriePM

Comment by CarriePM (original poster) at 2:24 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Nursing to sleep is far different than formula feeding while sleeping. In nursing, the milk flows past the teeth into the throat. In a bottle, it pools up around teeth. Needing to wake and eat while you hold him is one thing. Laying down and drowsily sucking on the bottle is another.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:28 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• My oldest won't get go to bed without a bottle. But at night he gets water. And he sucks it down in a matter of a minute and doesn't have any tooth decay or problems. I feel some of these babies never brush their teeth either.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 2:28 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Water also does NOT cause bottle rot.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:30 PM on Dec. 2, 2010