why does my 11 m.o. nap for 20 minutes?

She need at least an hour nap, but in the afternoon she wakes up crying after 20 minutes. Should I let her "cry it out" til she falls back to sleep? Or should I go get her and just let her be tired?

natalya930

Asked by natalya930 at 2:16 PM on Dec. 2, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• see how she reacts to letting her fuss for a couple mintues, next time try a couple more minutes.. my son only slept for 20 minutes through infancy so I cant relate to any other way
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 2:22 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• if you're breastfeeding see if you're getting caffeine from anywhere, or try bundling warmer for naps or background noise.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 2:28 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• my baby went through that stage, it passed.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 2:29 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• My daughter does the same thing...She sleeps for about 20 minutes, sometimes less and I am unable to let her cry for any period of time because she starts to gag and then throws up. I know it's not realistic, but a lot of times she will sleep longer if she sleeps on me or next to me. We go through this at night also. I have tried the "self soothing" method and with her gagging and throwing up it just doesn't work for me. I know this probably doesn't help but would love to others feed back! I hope you get the answer you need!
    ashann07

Answer by ashann07 at 2:31 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• My son has done that off and on, it depends on how tired I feel he is. I've put him down because I know he's tired and let him cry, and there's times where he's up and a little fussy, you have to gauge it on a day to day basis.
    Sillylins

Answer by Sillylins at 3:41 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• my baby does that hes only 5 months but he barely sleeps during the day..he has reflux and an older brother ;) don't think that helps much. how many naps does she take? If just that one then let her cry for a few and see if she will go back to sleep. If she has more than that nap then keep her up a little longer before she goes down for a nap and keep it persistent..at least an hour of sleep would be good huh!?!
    socalikim

Answer by socalikim at 2:23 AM on Dec. 3, 2010