Who are you talking to when asking "religious people"?

If you ask a question of religious people, who are you talking to? Just Christians? Just Abrahamic religious followers? Anyone who believes in a higher power? Anyone who believes in something? The term just seems so vague.

Groovyflor1

Asked by Groovyflor1 at 2:22 PM on Dec. 2, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• It is vague.
    mommytoJames512

Answer by mommytoJames512 at 2:23 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I guess it would be anyone with a religion... Or anyone that follows a religion...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:24 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I take it literally, in that it's referring to anyone who believes in a religion, thus 'religious people.'
    isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 2:36 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I think it depends on the asker because it seems like they sometimes just mean Christians and other times the asker means anyone who believes in a higher power.

If I see that phrase I generally read the question and figure which they mean and answer accordingly.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 2:39 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• When I refer to religious I'm referring to all people who follow a religion of some type, Christian, Jew, Islam, Hindu, Buddhist, Pagan, ect......

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 3:04 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• When I ask, which is rare, I would pose that question to ANYONE who believes in a higher power and practices some religion.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 3:12 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• OP- didn't you know that christians aren't religious, they have a relationship with god. *snark* so they're automatically excluded.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 4:17 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I have wondered this too, and sometimes I have to read the whole question to figure out if they mean ALL religious people or just a particular group (like Christians, for example). I have had both religious and non-religious views through my life, so I tend to answer whatever interests me whoever they asked for, because I can relate to all of it. Also, what I practice now is debatable whether it's theistic or non-theistic (and religious or non-religious) depending on who you talk to and how it's defined, so I'm never sure if I really fit in with 'religious' or 'non-religious' when it's generalized. LOL
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 2:38 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• When I ask a question to religious people I am refering to anyone who is not athiest or agnostic.
    mommywho28

Answer by mommywho28 at 3:07 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I guess it depends on the question... Though I don't ask them, so I meant when I see them, I usually can tell who they're asking by how they word their question. :)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 4:57 PM on Dec. 2, 2010