How do you feel about assisted suicide?

I was just thinking that, when our pets are suffering we put them down and tell ourselves it's in their best interest, which it probably is. But when people we love are in the same position, maybe sufering from a terminal illness, they are not allowed to have the same comfort even if they chose to.

Just food for thought...

Shanna84

Asked by Shanna84 at 2:25 PM on Dec. 2, 2010 in Religious Debate

• I think it should be legal. I completely support it! If your dog is ill, if your horse is hurt do you make them suffer? No? Why? Because it's just inhumane to do so... So why is it okay to make Grandma suffer with cancer if she wants to die? Why make her lay there in pain? If a person is to a point where they aren't able to live a normal decent life and they want to die, why shouldn't we let them? Why do we feel we have the right to pick and choose when they die - shouldn't that be up to them? And why shouldn't we give them a painless or easier way out??

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:32 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I think they should be able to pass when they choose to and no longer suffer

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 2:26 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I agree with butterfly, its their life let them do as they choose. Why make someone suffer when the end is coming regardless.
    bjojola

Answer by bjojola at 2:28 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Suicide itself is not illegal (ie. if you attempt suicide and fail, you will not be charged with a crime.) Passive euthanasia (ie. 'DNR' or 'no heroic meaures') is practiced all the time. So if suicide itself and passively allowing someone to die when they are terminal is allowed, why is active euthanasia not legislated for as well? The benefit would be to protect the surviving family members from prosecution for assisting a suicide, which is still a crime. If I were terminally ill and wanting to die anyhow, it would be nice to know that I could have my family at my side without the chance of them facing prosecution for it after the fact.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 2:41 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I agree. The person should have the right to end thier own suffering.
    moniquinha

Answer by moniquinha at 2:40 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• When a person is still capable of making the decision, it should be legal, peaceful and with dignity and comfort.

emptynstr

Answer by emptynstr at 3:48 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I fully support death with dignity, people being able to choose for themselves to forgo months or years of pain and suffering. I don't understand how there are people who would deny anyone this compassion and mercy... And you're right, we offer this kind of release to our pets, but we can't have this kind of humanity for our fellow man?
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 4:47 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Two things, one people can do with their bodies as they please, two, they can either do it in a safe and medical setting, surrounded by people ready to come and say good bye, or they can blow their brains out in their living rooms and let their kids walk in on that. If someone is truly suicidal, they will eventually get to it.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chantal_S%C3%A9bire

If it doesn't work, look up Chantal Sebire
    gabrielle_x

Answer by gabrielle_x at 2:57 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I try not to even think about that ever. Wow----reading at Cafe Mom is a real downer.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 3:40 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I also think it should be legal. No one wants to suffer and I don't want to see anyone suffer either
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 2:47 PM on Dec. 2, 2010