I'm a stay at home mom even though all my children attend school, yet I receive....

welfare because my husband works at a barely-above minimum wage job. Even if I get a job, we would still receive food stamps, so I choose to be a home-mom all day and take careof things here.
ppl dont like it(family members)...and their negativity is taking a toll.
What do u think about this?

**edit** I've been a single parent, worked fulltime, gone to school fulltime, had children in daycare...and basically I know what my stress threshold is, and the bottom line is: IT'S NOT THAT HIGH.
Yeah, unfortunately, I honestly don't think I can handle all the responsibilies I do around here (cooking all the meals, laundry, cleaning, supplement kids schooling, not too mention me time, excercising, etc.) AND do it in the time leftover from a part-time job but before I pick them up from school.
I honestly doubt I can handle all that. I suffer from stress and anxiety easily...but that's just me.I dropped out of college because I became clinically depressed after having a full-load of school work and being a single parent to my toddler..and that's because she was in daycare while I was at school.
Sorry if I seem lazy (as some of you has mentioned), but stressed out mom is not a good option for my kiddos. I think I can only handle my at-home responsibilies mentioned above.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:27 PM on Dec. 2, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I think you should get a job. I know it sounds mean but if your kids are in school and your capable of contributing to society then you should do it.
    bjojola

Answer by bjojola at 2:29 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• do like i made my hubby do and have yours stand up to his family and tell them to stop groaning about it because it's you and his life together and it works fine for you so back off.
    Anonymous

• Stop telling them anything about your finances or assistance. It really isn't their business.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 2:33 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• If you are really asking for my opinion, it would be that you should get a job, at least part-time while your children are in school. If your children are not of school age, I see the problem with child care, and I think it is best to have children at home with a parent if they can make it work, but after they are in school, you aren't caring for them all day, and thus have no excuse to not work, especially if you are receiving a hand out. It is a slap in the face to the people paying taxes and working to pay your way.
    twin_mommy

Answer by twin_mommy at 2:33 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I also don't think that you should be discussing your financial situation with anyone that doesn't NEED to know. It is classless.
    twin_mommy

Answer by twin_mommy at 2:35 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I don't think it's anyone elses business...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:36 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• You're a perfectly able bodied person and you should be working. Even if you still did get food stamps, you would probably receive less and people that really need them would have them available. Maybe you should get a job and teach your children how to provide for themselves when they're adults instead of relying on the government and taxpayers dollars just like you do.
    MomMom23

Answer by MomMom23 at 2:42 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Get a part-time job, and you will have a huge boost in self-esteem for "earning your keep" in this world. My only child is in school, and I work, despite being able to qualify for disability due to Multiple Sclerosis. It is wonderful to not worry about money on a daily basis, as I did as a SAHM before our son went to school.
    MSMama21

Answer by MSMama21 at 2:49 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Well, if your kids are in school, I think that a part-time job would be beneficial. You could still be there for the kids and have time for the house and stuff, but you would be bringing in a little extra money. Just because you'll still qualify for food stamps doesn't mean that you can't do something to make things easier. My husband has been working full-time, just above minimum wage for months. Before that, I was working full-time at a fast food place, while he stayed home. I'm in college full-time and looking for work. I guess I just don't understand people staying home unless they have to. I'm not bashing you for being on assistance, because I definitely understand needing help, but anything that can help out your family is a good thing, even if it doesn't get you off assistance.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 3:06 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I would kill to be physically able to work, we are very poor because I cannot physically work..if you are physically able to work then why not???
    Anonymous