Does my baby have Autism?

I was just wondering if anyone could help me. My daughter will be turning one and she has been showing signs of autism. At first I just thought that she was a little slow, but now as I read more I think it may be more than that. She started babbling at around 4 or 5 months; she was saying mama, baba, and dada not always directly towards the object. At around 9 months this suddenly stopped and she is now making more of a whining hum, and grunting noises to get our attention. She never gets her feelings hurt when we take something away from her or slap her hand for getting into things shes...

ashann07

Asked by ashann07 at 2:27 PM on Dec. 2, 2010 in Kids' Health

• You should talk to your pediatrician about your concern. It may be just a phase, but better safe than sorry!
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 2:29 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I have a mental health degree, and had a lot of Autisic clients, none never as early as a year. The earliest of children to be diagnosed were in their 2s. I know CM is a great place to seek out advice, but with this you deffinately need to take your concerns to the pediatrician. Sometimes she may be going through phases. My oldest and youngest are night and day. One is carefree and the other is wound so tight. But seriously, start by going to the pediatrician. And learn all you can on how to "teach" and work with your baby to assist in milestones. And keep in mind, milestones can happen over spans as long as 6 months. Or more. So don't stress if someone else's baby is ahead of yours. They all develop at their own rate.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 2:32 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Its very hard to diagnose a child that is so young. Ask about a birth to 3 program for her to get evaluated.
    Stay calm. Remember,autism is not a death sentence.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 2:32 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I suggest you talk to your child's pediatrician about your concerns and if the doctor shares your concerns then ask for a referral to a developmental specialist.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 2:37 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• You should talk to a doctor or start looking into a developmental evaluation. You may not get a diagnosis this early, but the earlier developmental intervention is started, if she is indeed found to have delays, the better. Good luck! And try not to worry, there is a lot that can be done to help.
    moniquinha

Answer by moniquinha at 2:38 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I agree, call the pediatrician and get a recommendation. I will say this again though, most early intervention or pediatric therapy centers offer a free screening that can give you a great deal of information! Your pediatrician will have a number. I hope it is just a stage, sometimes that is all it is, but put your mind at rest and look into it now!
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 2:39 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Thank you for the advice. I have spoke to my pediatrician and she keeps saying it's normal. I don't make it a habit of comparing my daughter to other children because I know they all develop at their own pace. But my main concern is her not responding to her name all of a sudden and the babbling has stopped all together when she use to babble all the time non stop! I realize that it may be hard to detect in children this young but was kind of hoping to hear from other mothers of children with autism what their child was like as a baby. As a mom I just feel that there is something not right. And I don't really know where to go for help. I have called the local childrens hospital and they have a waiting list for a eval, I am just looking for some insight until then!
    Thank you all though, everyone input is appreciated!
    ashann07

Comment by ashann07 (original poster) at 2:41 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• She to young to tell right now but I know of all kinds of kids that make that whining sound at her age and dont say much. Also babies at 9months wont cry yet when you take thinks away all the time until they're older, my son didn't start that until he was a year. Parents know best though but I wouldn't rush to conclusions just yet it can be just who she is, or a mild developmental delay. Go see the doctor and keep an eye on her mental growth. If it is autism your lucky for catching it early.

Jenaiko01

Answer by Jenaiko01 at 2:41 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• i would think it's normal at this age, but could be something... i think your ped and the other posters are right... it's just too hard to tell so young.
    asil

Answer by asil at 12:58 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• Talk to the doctor. And please stop slapping your 9 months olds hands, she is a BABY.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:28 PM on Dec. 3, 2010