You can do something if you get offended

Was talking to a friend earlier today about obesity in this society. At one point, she questioned why judgmental attitudes towards overweight and obese people seem to be the socially acceptable "hate"in this country (whereas as racism, ageism, sexism, etc. are not socially accepted). I told her that at in many cases of obesity (not ALL, but many), people can actually do something about their weight. They just choose not to. I'm not talking about the 600lb. woman that is close to death and needs weight loss surgery to save her life. I'm not talking about that man whose metabolism is shot, yet he works out everyday and eats right. No, I was speaking of those that are actually are able to lose a great deal of weight on their own, but complain about their size while eating absolute junk wherever they want, whenever they want. These are the ones that can actually do something about their situation, yet they choose not too because losing the weight may be "too hard". It reminds me of that MadTV skit, "Eat Less, Move More" with Christa Flanagan. It's this segment of the overweight population that kind of ruins it for ALL overweight and obese people. Point is, you can't do crap about your ethnicity, age, or gender. Most can do something about their weight though, and that is why prejudice towards overweight people seems to be more socially accepted than any of the other prejudices I've mentioned. Nevertheless, my friend appeared shocked (and perhaps mildly offended?) that I had said that. I was simply stating my opinion on the question she raised. What are your thoughts on the whole thing?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:30 PM on Dec. 2, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I agree with you.
    bjojola

Answer by bjojola at 2:32 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• The fact is that no one would say the same thing about an alcoholic or drug abuser that they say about an obese person.
    tony1638

Answer by tony1638 at 2:36 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• You're right, there are those who can't help it and those who wont...but you're missing out on a large group (no pun intended) of people who actually like being bigger and are happy that they can eat what they want.
    an-apple-a-day

Answer by an-apple-a-day at 2:36 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I think you are right, it is socially accepted to "bad-mouth" obese people. It shouldn't be okay. I keep hearing about how obese people are a drain on healthcare and I still disagree that fat=unhealthy. However, I think some people do get to the point where they are so obese that they cannot even function on their own and I think this is ridiculous. It is, as you said, essentially the individuals decision to allow themselves to be that way. BUT, it is their life decision. They shouldn't be attakced for choosing that any more than someone who chooses to be a Lutheran or someone who chooses to work for the IRS. If we are really a tolerant, equal-oppurtunity nation, then we cannot be pregidous against any LIFE CHOICES.

Shanna84

Answer by Shanna84 at 2:40 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I agree with you. There are medical conditions that prevent people from losing weight and keep them overweight but there are MANY that are overweight and they CAN prevent it. Those are the ones in the store (and yes, I see what they have in their cart, so sue me) and they have pizza, soda, pop tarts, capt. crunch, ice cream and TV dinners. They stand there overweight with their overweight kids and not one piece of fruit or a fresh vegetable in their cart. I do have to admit that at this point I judge.
    sue118

Answer by sue118 at 2:43 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I could stand to lose 30 lbs. but find it very hard. I don't smoke, drink or do drugs and I like good food and sweets. Yes, I can do it but very hard. I never judge people who smoke like chimneys and should stop but I find them judging fat people. They say it's unhealthy. Well so is smoking and blowing the damn smoke in your car that your kids breathe in.
    sweetmom1007

Answer by sweetmom1007 at 2:43 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I lost 450 pounds and found out i still am sixty now fifty pounds overweight i workout watch what i eat and stopped going out to eat my job is walking and four days a week i ride a bike for three miles swim lift weights and the last fifty will not budge so to heck with people talking hateful about me i need only be concerned with me. it took 6 years to lose all of that weight now i have to work on the last fifty.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 2:45 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• pinkdragon36, . You are the example of what OP is talking about being able to do something and you DID!!! That is a great accomplishment!!!! You should be proud that you were able to do it. And just to clarify, I don't look at everyone who is overweight (alittle or alot) and think they are lazy or eat too much, my first thought is they may have a condition and I don't judge. But like my previous post, if I see someone in line with a cart full of garbage and see that their children are overweight, I judge. I can't help it. Because at this point it is not a life choice that only affects them, now their children will learn these habits.
    sue118

Answer by sue118 at 3:07 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• sheesh, isn't this the just for fun section?
    Mamma2E

Answer by Mamma2E at 3:35 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• i think too many people make excuses for being fat. 15 years ago i didn't hear of the thyroid excuse,but today every one and their mother's brother have a thyroid problem suuure! what these overweight people need to realize is they must be doing something wrong that is why they are not loosing the weight. the show biggest loser proves that the over weight people were doing something wrong because they have professionals like Jillian michaels who knows how to get the job done. i have never seen a contestant from biggest loser leave the show heavier than when they came on the show. what does that say?? its just proven facts. i have seen a follow up show where they find previous contestants and some of them are on the right track but others got bigger. so there is no excuse to be that overweight. because it can be done. unless someone has physical disabilities that prevents them from working out (bad back)/baby weight.
    maya123

Answer by maya123 at 5:47 PM on Dec. 2, 2010