Foster Child?

When I was 7 I was in a foster home. Not for very long, but it was a gift. The people who took me in were wonderful. I have never forgotten their kindness. They showed me how a family should be. I found the mom on Facebook today and sent her a Thank You message. Now I'm wondering if I should have done that...... maybe I should have left it alone. I've thought that I'd like to be a foster mom someday, but know I would really struggle with letting go when it's time to send them back home. Have any of you ever been in a foster home or been a foster family? How did you handle it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:45 PM on Dec. 2, 2010 in Relationships

• You should not regret that. No doubt they really worked to make it a good. loving environment there for you and no doubt they really cared about you too. I think she will really appreciate that you took time out of your day to find her and to express your feelings of gratitude towards what they were able to do for you. I am sure she has thought about you over the years, you can't take a child into your family like that and forget. It will mean more to her than you are capable of ever comprehending I bet. A kind word or a note of appreciation is never a wasted thing!

You did the right thing. And you would be an awesome foster parent because of the example that was set for yourself, and the empathy you would have for that child. And yes, I think you are right, the hardest part would be letting go.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 3:29 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• my father kinda grew up in foster homes and so did the rest of his brother and sisters, he said to me if had had a bigger house and more money he would of loved to have done the same thing for people but he never had the chance we my house very small and he had me and my 2 sisters to look after and my mum couldnt work at that point, but i have been thinking about it myself
    angelbaby1323

Answer by angelbaby1323 at 2:49 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I think that was a wonderful thing to do, and I hope you hear back!
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 2:52 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I think it was a nice thing for you to send- for a foster parent it must be so hard to have a child go off and you never know if things are ok for them from then on. To hear she had such a positive impact on your life has to make her feel special and like all of her hard work and sacrifice is worth something. I so admire foster parents for that strength to be able to let the children go.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 3:05 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Thank you for your comments. I got a response back from her. She was excited. She wants to know about me and life family. I may not have mentioned that it was 1972 when I was in their home. She even "Friend Requested" me. I accepted. I don't know if I'm ready to meet her yet. I'm afraid I'd let her down. I've never done anything Great. I think my kids are Great, but some people would rather judge me by the way they look than take the time to get to know them first. Either way I have opened this can of worms and I'm happy about it. We'll see way it leads.......
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:29 AM on Dec. 5, 2010