Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 Bumps

Possibly moving in with my would it work since we both get food stamps and medicaid?

UP FRONT: I'm not going to argue or apologize about being on government assistance. So if you're going to bash me, don't waste your time. I won't respond to your insults anyway. Thank you!


I'm thinking about moving back to my hometown, and staying with my sister until I can find suitable housing. She gets medicaid and foodstamps for her children, and I also get those benefits for my daughter and myself. Would there be a problem for either one of us since we'd be sharing the household? I would only be staying with her I wouldn't be "officially" living with her. Bur I'd obviously have to give social services her address as MY address.

Thank you for your help. I appreciate it.


Asked by Anonymous at 2:46 PM on Dec. 2, 2010 in Just for Fun

This question is closed.
Answers (7)
  • She doesn't need to do just need to report a new address and say that your moving in with your sister. The most they will ask is that she writes a letter to the effect that you are temporarily moving in rent free.

    Answer by ShouldHaveLeft at 4:52 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

  • I think it may depend on your state. Why don't you call your caseworker and ask her/him?

    Answer by Scuba at 2:48 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

  • No problem as long as you have her to write a letter stating that you are temporarily "renting" a room from her just say you pay her a little something for renting the room.

    Answer by Anonymous at 2:49 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

  • She would have to claim any of your income and you would have to claim any of hers. Food stamps/medicaid don't count towards that, it doesn't matter that she is on them and they wont care that she is. Temporary or not, renting or not, you have to claim her money and she will have to claim yours.

    Answer by an-apple-a-day at 2:56 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

  • You BOTH need to contact your workers or wherever you report changes to. You need to tell them that you are temporarily moving in with her while you look for housing (and it could affect your benefits if you're moving to a different county - you may have to change offices/workers, etc - the sooner you tell them the better). She needs to tell hers that you are temporarily moving in due to a hardship. Both of you need to be honest about how many people are in the house, etc, because if you don't tell them, or if you lie about anything and they find out, you could both be kicked off the programs and have to repay everything you've ever recieved (medical care, foodstamp amounts, etc). But the sooner you both call the better - they can tell you too how you'll be affected if you do it, and maybe help with finding you houseing so you don't have to live with her and you'll both be fine.

    Answer by Anonymous at 3:36 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

  • Well I think nothing will be effect just the address just let them know you prepare you and Your childrens meals.

    Answer by wowiemommy at 3:50 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

  • Just tale them at the office you buy for you & your child only .That your sister buys for just them .

    Answer by TamTam0076 at 4:40 PM on Dec. 2, 2010