Is it possible to gain 10-12 pounds in 11 days????

I just got back from vacation at my relative's home, and I temporarily stopped counting calories. I ate more than usual, but I don't think I ate enough to gain 12-12 pounds!!! What could cause such a huge weight gain in 11 days?? I'm freaking out. I can hardly cross my legs anymore like I used to!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:49 PM on Dec. 2, 2010 in Health

• Unless you gorged yourself from waking till you passed out from the food, you didn't gain that much fat. Did you eat much saltier food than usual? Is your period due soon? Are you constipated? The combination could account for 5 or 6 lbs on me, you may react more than I do.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 3:19 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Its possible but that sounds like a little more than eating a little more.... do you have thyroid issues or maybe diabetes or something, 12 pounds is alot in that amount of time, maybe its a health issue? I'm not being a jerk.
    bjojola

Answer by bjojola at 2:51 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Yeah,it can happen. I gained 5 lbs over a weekend trip to Chicago. All that yummy food!

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 2:52 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

I don't think you're being a jerk. But 3500 calories above what your body needs equals a 1 pound weight gain. That means I would have had to have eaten 38,500 extra calories in 11 days in order to have gained 10 pounds!!! That doesn't seem possible.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:57 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• It's just like when people go on cruises. There is all kinds of food available 24/7 on a cruise ship, and so many people complain that they gained weight on their cruise, or by the time they got home their clothes hardly fit any more, etc. I was pregnant when I went on my only cruise, so it didn't affect me (I didn't weigh myself before or after so I have no idea if I gained - I ate 10x more fresh fruit than normal though!). Yes, it's possible - especially if you weren't cooking, there's no telling how much butter and other bad stuff you may have eaten that you couldn't tell.
    Anonymous

• I agree that some could be actual weight gained by over indulging, but most of it is probably from retaining water and or being constipated. Just get back on your regular diet and exercise routine and it will probably all come off quickly.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 3:58 PM on Dec. 2, 2010