how do you feel about the people who win cars or large checks on talk shows?

Shows like Ellen. Someome writes her a sob story about how they are in debt or their car broke down...she invites them to the show and they get their new car or a $10,00 check from Visa...sometimes both. Would you ever consider sending a letter like that? I could certainly use the money and we are in a tight bind, SO's car constantly needs to get worked on, we're in debt, but I wouldnt beg a rich person I dont know for money...seems a bit selfish.

Owl_Feather

Asked by Owl_Feather at 2:53 PM on Dec. 2, 2010 in Entertainment

• I personally wouldn't do that.. but that's just me.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 2:54 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• No. It's not Ellen's job to take care of my family, its mine and my DH's.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 2:54 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I wouldn't do it but it doesn't bother me that others do. At least someone out there with money is willing to do things for people that don't. I think its a nice gesture.

bjojola

Answer by bjojola at 2:55 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• writinghmm, where is my pen and paper at...lol The one thing about winning cars on game shows is that you have to pay tax on it. Idk about Ellen but I know someone who had to sell the cars b/c she couldnt pay the tax on it

beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 2:55 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• i know how you feel we dont get much money and my husband is in the military, im unable to work and we dont get a disability for me as im english, we have a 15month old girl and one on the way, we could certainly do with more money we have only brought our girl one christmas present cos thats all we can afford, but i would write to someone complaining about it,
    angelbaby1323

Answer by angelbaby1323 at 2:56 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I get depressed! Like when I watched Oprahs favorite things. I wanted to be there!
    Jenaiko01

Answer by Jenaiko01 at 2:58 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I agree that Ellen is a very generous person (Ellen de GENEROUS lol). She in genuine and truly does care about the well being of others. I just find it odd that some people ask like that. Just like the "Lottery Changed my Life" shows, many say how strangers send them letters asking for money or that one guy who owned a mechanic shop said customers expected free work done because he was rich. I dont even like asking my parents for help. My mom once asked me if I asked dad for help and i straight up told her I dont think of her or dad as banks. It's called being responsible and self sufficient!
    Owl_Feather

Comment by Owl_Feather (original poster) at 3:00 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• well, for one, I wouldn't BE on a talk show.lol
    and for another I would RUN from winning something like that!
    FierceMomBear

Answer by FierceMomBear at 3:01 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I wish they were me! I don't like asking for help either... so if a family/friend, heck one of you... wants to write to Ellen on my behalf, by all means, please do! I'll be happy to accept the check. I just wish it were't televised. I have a feeling if it wasn't publicized for all the world to see, most of you would accept the check gladly.
    Mamma2E

Answer by Mamma2E at 3:02 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• yes true mamma2e lol If I someone nominated me to win something I'd more than likely accept it. I think thats a bit different than straight up asking for it
    Owl_Feather

Comment by Owl_Feather (original poster) at 3:07 PM on Dec. 2, 2010