Well,that was a really bad idea

My grandma passed on Monday. When my mom and aunts went to make her arrangements on Tuesday,they insisted on seeing her. Problem is,she hadn't been worked on yet. They got the shock of their lives when they wheeled her out and she was stiff,gray,and cold as ice. Now they're even more distraught than before. Hopefully they do a good job on her for the funeral tomorrow,and they can replace the morgue memory with the better one.
Anyone have any stories of anything similar?

Asked by butterflyblue19 at 3:00 PM on Dec. 2, 2010 in Relationships

• My best friend was shot and killed a few years ago and they didn't really "work" on him much and they had an open casket. He was green and bloated. I will never ever forget that image, I still dream it and it breaks my heart. I wish I wouldn't have seen it, because its always the first thing that comes to mind. And again, I'm so sorry for your loss, hope your doing ok!

bjojola

Answer by bjojola at 3:03 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• my condolences to everyone who had an experience like that.
    Mamma2E

Answer by Mamma2E at 3:10 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I had to read that twice. Seriously? That is quite disturbing, I hope things go a little smoother. Bjojola's story is even more disturbing. That just seems really indecent to me.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 3:06 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• My uncle was killed in a motorcycle accident, and I had to identify his body (his widow was too distraught to do so). He'd been dead for about 5 hours, and half of his face was missing. Horrific doesn't begin to describe it.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 3:11 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Um no...but im sorry for your loss :(
    chanelsparkels

Answer by chanelsparkels at 3:02 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• i am really sorry for your loss, when my husbands grandfather passed 2years ago he was so upset cos he never got to go to the funeral and last year my husband and his family thanked me on something, cos he died of pneumonia and i had my girl at 33weeks cos my body was failing cos of pneumonia but i was given that second chance of life
    angelbaby1323

Answer by angelbaby1323 at 3:06 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• My grandmother had passed away in her sleep at the nursing home she was staying at. My mother was going to see her by herself, and I insisted on going. I didn't want my mom to see her by herself and be alone. When I got there she was just as you described.. gray, cold and stiff with her mouth open. Even tho I was able to see her "done up" for the funeral, that image of her will forever be in my mind. Im so sorry for your loss and hope you are doing well.
    TsMommy428

Answer by TsMommy428 at 3:07 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• My condolences, as well. My Grandma passed away two weeks ago, and at her viewing I made a conscious effort to not look at her in her casket. I would rather remember her for who she was, not look at some Funeral Director's belief of what she looked like alive. My Grandpa didn't even look like himself in his casket, nor my great-aunt.
    MSMama21

Answer by MSMama21 at 3:25 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I had a somewhat similar experience. My best friend died in her sleep a few years back. Unfortunately her body had gone through rigor-mortis and then came out of it and she looked.....distorted for lack of better words. At least at her funeral her face didn't look anything like her, and her hands looked really off. I feel bad saying it, but it was disturbing to see her like that.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 3:50 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Wow. My condolences to you all. I thought mine was bad,I can't imagine having to experience those!

Comment by butterflyblue19 (original poster) at 3:13 PM on Dec. 2, 2010