who believes in spanking?

...not that kind of spanking,people.
Were any of you guys spanked as children and would you ever spank your child as a form of discipline (nothing scary, just lightly). .... I was spanked but I won't spank my future children. Just curious.

Mamma2E

Asked by Mamma2E at 3:06 PM on Dec. 2, 2010 in General Parenting

• I wasn't spanked.. & I do not spank my children.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 3:07 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I was spanked once, for something (which I no longer remember, and neither do my parents) that must have been horrible. I do not spank my child.
    ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 3:09 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I was spanked and spank mine.
    Anonymous

• I was spanked growing up. Looking back on it I gotta say I really don't care that I was. Most times I deserved it. Now with my kids I spank within reason. Never for anything small or trivial. But for things like playing with fire or running into the road yes I will spank, after I calm down and get over the scary shock of course. and no my daughter has never done any of that it's just examples. But mostly I do time out and straight up talking about the problem.
    angelmine2011

Answer by angelmine2011 at 3:10 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I was and I did... We are trying to change the spanking thing, it has not worked too great with our kids.
    bjojola

Answer by bjojola at 3:11 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• i was spanked and even though i canot remember half the things i did, some of things i will admit i deserved and yes i do spank mine i believe its the only way they will know they have been very bad
    angelbaby1323

Answer by angelbaby1323 at 3:13 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I was spanked, well, really beaten, as a child. I am not a spanker, but I don't judge those who do (properly). To each his own, I wou;d have spanked if I thought I needed to.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 3:13 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I was spanked once and I remember it vividly. I kept climbing on the counter and my mom told me to stop and was in a rush to get us out of the house for swim class, when I climbed back up she spanked me. I was shocked, not even really because it hurt but just that she would do it at all. Anyway, it didn't scar me for life or anything like that. But I do not spank my daughter, nor will I. I don't believe hitting is an effective form of discipline, nor does it send the right message. It doesn't make sense to me that we can hit children when there is no one else in our society that it is legal or even socially acceptable to hit.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 3:16 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I was spanked and I don't spank my kids. My mom was not a 'good' spanker. She always spanked when she was obviously very, very angry. I've never seen it used as a calm means of discipline and don't trust myself to use it that way. The only time I've ever wanted to spank my kids was when I was really, really angry- and that's the exact time when it shouldn't be used. The kids are 8, 6, and almost 4 and are well-behaved without spanking and I'm happy with my decision.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 3:24 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I was raised in ' Spankville '.

If any of my childhood friends weren't being spanked, I didn't know of it. I can recall school yard discussions about being spanked -- sharing tales of our "battles". But, even as a child, there were times I felt that what was happening wasn't always right. Times when my parents seemed more to be taking their anger out on us (their kids) instead of helping us to learn self-discipline -- the hard way.

Still, I don't have a problem with spanking (not beating) being used as punishment for deliberate bad behavior. I spanked my kids, when they were old enough to understand that it would be a possible consequence for certain misbehaviors. I found it to be a good way of resolving issues without spoiling a weekend or evening because someone was on restriction. Afterward, I would hug them and say, "You know it hurts me to have to do this. Please don't ever make me spank you again." For us, it worked.
    ss_mom

Answer by ss_mom at 3:30 PM on Dec. 2, 2010