is it common for a 22-month-old to hit and gag herself in the midst of a tantrum?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:09 PM on Dec. 2, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i believe so my 15month old has tantrums n gags herself cos of how much she screams
    angelbaby1323

Answer by angelbaby1323 at 3:11 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• She's doing it for the attention. You must ignore her.
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 3:13 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• More than likely... She's going into her terrible two's..... but this is where discipline should begin(I would've done it earlier).... u need to break that bad habit... and there's many ways to do it. Some people wont like this answer... but it's the truth
    Luvmyfam7

Answer by Luvmyfam7 at 3:15 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• My son ( 2 in 3 weeks) hits, bangs, scratches, etc himself, although I have noticed he does it for attention, if I ignore, it doesn't last very long
    monkiesbugs

Answer by monkiesbugs at 3:17 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• oh my gosh! I have never seen that happen.My three kids never did anything even close to that. I would take her to a neurologist. That sounds abnormal.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 3:38 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Thank you for your quick responses! I've been concerned that this self-inflicted pain could be the beginning of other self-descructive behaviors to come and was freaked out that it was starting at such a young age!

My daughters never exhibited this behavior. It's been twenty years since my toddler parenting was last challenged!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:41 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Good gracious kerp... it is normal and there is no need to see a neurologist.

She is doing it for attention. All three of my kids have done similar things to try to get attention during a tantrum. The only thing to do is to completely ignore it. Make sure the baby is somewhere safe like flat on the floor and ignore it. Do not even look at her while she is acting that way. She will stop because it hurts and if she is not getting any reinforcements, then it is not worth the pain.
    If you would like to chat about it some more, please send me a pm. Been there, done that!
    Good luck!
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 3:43 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I agree with sleepingbeautee, no doc nessasary. Ignoring it is the best way to deal with it. Think about it we (at least I) still feel like this time to time we have just learned by society its not acceptable. toddlers are soooo honest to a fault but when my daughter did this I would tell her after it was over I know how you feel but there are better ways to deal with it, like usung your words to tell me your mad, sad, frustrated ect.... I even went as far to let her punch a pillow instead of herself. she thought that was silly and she eventually grew out of self destruction. give it some time and try to relate to their feelings its totally normal. shoot there are times even as an adult at the store or paying bills that I want to start punching and kicking me and others:)
    scanamey77

Answer by scanamey77 at 4:16 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Not saying what others are saying above MIGHT work. However there might be a possiblity your child might be ADHD or ODD. Trust me I am dealing with this. IT is REALLY crazy with me. Throws herself completely back when having a fit landing on whatever. Bathtubs and concete you name it. Hits, bites, screams so much she breaks out in hives, shakes with rage everything you can think of. She is not biologically mine and there is a bad past for my girl. However, hang in there BE CONSISTENT and if the above answers are not doing it, consider looking into it. I hope this helps.
    design_girl33

Answer by design_girl33 at 6:56 PM on Dec. 2, 2010