A kind of suicide? (Catholic beliefs)

My aunts best friend has been suffering with cancer for over 8 years. She was in a rehab center and they found a lot more and more complications on top of that that would make the remainder of her life unbearable. Tuesday she told her doctors she was not taking her meds anymore and she only wanted to have pain meds. She was sick of fighting and didn't see the point anymore. She passed away yesterday. I can't stop thinking about this. Is this a form of suicide? Will she go to Heaven? No one deserves to be in God's Grace more than this woman. She was so kind and good. I don't know what the beliefs are on someone giving up. Thanks in advance for any answers.

mommywho28

Asked by mommywho28 at 3:20 PM on Dec. 2, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• No its not suicide, God let her go when it was her time, or she would still be here.
    bjojola

Answer by bjojola at 3:22 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I personally don't think that's suicide
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 3:25 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Did she willfully kill take her life? No. Cancer took her life. Plain and simple.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 3:25 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• When my grandparents got older, my grandfather got sick. Cancer, heart problems. My grandmother (who was extremely dependent on him) stopped eating. She barely ate anything. This caused many problems and she eventually died. I always thought that she did it on purpose. She wasn't even sick. But the thought of living without him was too much for her and she wanted to go first. He followed her shortly after. Of course they'll go to heaven! They all deserve it.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:25 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• It is not suicide, your Aunt knew her time was limited and she wanted control
    of what was left of her life and to die with dignity ...

I am sorry for your loss..
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 3:34 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I don't see this as a suicide. It was adisease that took it's natural course. I'm so sorry for your lose, it sounds like she was a lovely women who will be missed.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 3:34 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• No that is not suicide. Cancer is aweful!!!!! aand the meds that you have to take with cancer don't always make a person feel good, chemo for example. She was ready to go, and she knew where she was going. I wll keep the family in my thougts and prayers.
    Conley639

Answer by Conley639 at 3:37 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Thanks ladies. She will be missed. It was just a struggle in my mind. I didn't think it would be suicide because I don't believe that God had anything to do with the medicines that keep the terminally ill alive. If not human intervention she would have gone long ago. Then the other side of my brain says what if it was God's will for ppl to make these medicines? A constant arguement within myself. But I don't believe that God wants ppl to suffer for so long with an illness. Thanks again for your answers. Very reassuring.
    mommywho28

Comment by mommywho28 (original poster) at 3:43 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Only God knows who will go to heaven and who will not, unfortunately we are not the ones who will decide this. But on a Good note know that ur friend is out of pain and definitely resting. her soul is at ease and awaiting the day when hopefully she can go to heaven.
    ladiesfirst

Answer by ladiesfirst at 8:05 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• No, it is not suicide. All she did was allow herself to move on without holding onto life on Earth artificially with the aid of meds and other means. Most people who let go like that do so because they were reassured by God that it was ok. I've seen enough of this happen to believe that once we come to terms with death, we realize it's ok to let go.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 8:45 PM on Dec. 2, 2010