how to get a baby or your baby to sleep in the crib?

my baby always sleeps in her swing or wants to sleep in my bed with me. if she falls asleep and i put her in her crib she wakes up and starts crying till u pick her up. and when i give her a bath and put her in her crib she would sleep in it. so how can i get her to always sleep in it?

babbykrissy

Asked by babbykrissy at 3:27 PM on Dec. 2, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Have her fall asleep there. I always put my babies down awake, but sleepy. But I did it since birth, during that sleepy newborn time when they'll sleep almost anywhere, so it's not like it was anything new to them.

Answer by missanc at 3:33 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• How old is your baby? Have they refused from birth or is that they just started this because you've let them sleep with you or in the swing. Some babies are more difficult with change. If you've been doing that for a while then it might be best to just do the best you can with the crib situation.
    Good luck to you!
    Sillylins

Answer by Sillylins at 3:39 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• well she did sleep in there in the begining but she got use to sleepin in her swing or in my bed cuz in the begining i was still recoving from birth and culdnt keep walkin back and forth to the crib so i kept her close to me so now i need to get her use to sleepin in her crib cuz pretty soon she gonna be to big for her swing. she 3 months old.
    babbykrissy

Comment by babbykrissy (original poster) at 3:40 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• if she falls asleep and i put her in her crib she wakes up and starts crying till u pick her up.

Stop picking her up, sometimes they just need to cry themselves to sleep. She needs to get used to going to bed in her crib.
    sue118

Answer by sue118 at 3:40 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Lay in her the crib while she is awake and leave the room. If she cries go in every few minutes to let her know your there but don't pick her up. Slowly increase the amount of time that you let her cry before coming in to check on her. It's called learning how to self-soothe and you will be a much happier momma and it will also make it easier for you when she goes to a normal bed instead of the crib.

jnd951999

Answer by jnd951999 at 3:42 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• i do let her cry but i know u cant let them cry for to long and she would be still crying after 20mins.!
    babbykrissy

Comment by babbykrissy (original poster) at 3:43 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• My son who is about two and half months (sept. 16) is the same way. He likes the motion of his swing or in our bed. I finally realized that at least half of that is HEAT. Behind the swing is one of the heaters so it's a nice warm spot and in our room I have a space heater kind by our bed since I'm an icicle. So it may help if you use warm blankets or something.
    I finally just decided that as long as my husband doesn't mind sharing his half of the bed I'm not going to worry about sharing the bed and during the day I'm fine with him napping in the swing since it's easy on me.
    IF though you really want little one out of your bed perhaps consider getting a small protible swing that can go into your room OR one of those little rockers. They have a kickstand for baby to sleep in and mine has vibration as well. And it's not a total waste since they'll hold a kid up to thirty or forty pounds as a toddler.
    JadeRDragosani

Answer by JadeRDragosani at 3:55 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• the swing is in my room next to the bed its the fisherprice cradle swing she has no problem sleepin in there or in my bed but i got her to sleep in the swing more which i dont have a problem but i know babys grow fast so when she gets to big i want her to be able to sleep in her crib.
    babbykrissy

Comment by babbykrissy (original poster) at 3:59 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I let myine cry for quite awhile...I checked on her every 15 minutes but after a week of battling and letting her cry to exhaustion she now cant sleep anywhere else. I am not the kind of person that likes my space invaded by anyone not even my kids so for me it was worth all the heart break to have her learn to fall asleep on her own in a crib. good luck I know its not easy
    scanamey77

Answer by scanamey77 at 4:03 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I could never get my daughter to sleep in a crib. When I was pregnant with her I sleep on a water bed and when i gave birth to her she was up every hour on the hour so I put her on the water bed with me and she sleep all night
    Babygirl121307

Answer by Babygirl121307 at 2:08 PM on Dec. 3, 2010