My daughter wants everything!!!

but I can't afford it what do i tell her she is 8 yrs old

wowiemommy

Asked by wowiemommy at 3:41 PM on Dec. 2, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Tell her you can't afford it.

Or if you are doing Santa, tell her he won't buy anything Mom can't afford to replace.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:43 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Reel-in her expectations.

I had an "I want that!" baby. As she watched the pre-Christmas commercials, she wanted almost EVERYTHING.

Just tell her the truth: She can not have everything she wants. There isn't that much money in the family, and even if there were, it wouldn't be good for her to get TOO MUCH stuff. Ask her to make a list of the things she wants most, and let her know she will get a few of them, but not all.

GL :-)
    ss_mom

Answer by ss_mom at 3:46 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• When my children were younger I had them make a list of what they wanted for Christmas. Then I had them go over the list and circle the three items that they wanted the most. This is how I narrowed down their must have items. In the end, they were always happy with whatever "santa" brought them. They knew their Grandma's gave them cash and they could use that to buy anythingwhat santa did not bring them that they wanted. In the end they usually put the money in the bank because when they needed to spend their own money for the item, they didn't want it as much.
    tony1638

Answer by tony1638 at 3:50 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I tell my kids they can write out their list and I will choose 3 things from it and they are happy knowing that they have no idea what those 3 things will be. There is no reason to get everything
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 3:51 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I let my kids make their Christmas lists and then I tell them that they may or may not get the things on their list. Their list is a 'WISH' list, not a list of demands. Santa will get them things that mom and dad will approve of and mom and dad will get what they can afford. Anything not purchased from the list can 1) be re-routed to grandma and grandpa for their consideration 2) be requested again for their birthdays or 3) be placed back on their list for Christmas next year.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 4:50 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• My kids want a lot of stuff. They know they won't get it. They know we don't have the money for it all (especially with 5 kids). They know getting clothes is more important than toys and they see us struggle to make sure the cupboards stay full. My 9yo son just told me today that if we get him anything for Christmas he just really wants this one lego set. Just one set (probably a $50 one). That's it. Last year they got 2 gifts each from us and then we got a few board games and movies for the whole family and Santa brought a Wii (we spent more than normal last year because of the Wii, individually we spent $40-$85 on each kid).
    And when they ask for expensive stuff i have no problem telling them flat out that we just can't afford that. I even told them because the economy is bad that Santa really can't afford to bring much, lol.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 5:14 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I think your 8 year old and mine are the same kid. She wants everything she sees just about. It's hard you just have to be tough and let her know that you can't afford everything . I know sometimes it looks like a toy store in here she wants and then gets and doesn'tplay with it a week from now. I buy what I can afford and after that it's tough luck Kid! Good Luck!
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 6:19 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• Almost every 8 year old wants everything he or she sees. And there is so much to see! What other kids have, commercials on TV, in the stores.

I tell my son that we only have so much money, just like everyone else. Some people have more, some people have less, but no one has everything they want.. And I tell him, if you get that, we won't be able to afford other things, so think carefully about what you want. Usually he makes good decisions.

Buy only what you can afford & think is appropriate. She's 8 - you're the adult.
    sweetpotato418

Answer by sweetpotato418 at 7:39 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• I assume you are talking about for Christmas, I find that my kids just want everything they show on TV. However, when Christmas rolls around, they don't even remember all those things that were shoved down their throats are very happy with what they get. You are her Momma, you know what she really loves and wants.
    Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 8:35 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• You do not need to discuss finances, just say you are not going to get her everything she wants, that is not how life works.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 9:11 AM on Dec. 4, 2010