when are you able to let your kid in the bath tub alone

without them drowning?

Luckyme3487

Asked by Luckyme3487 at 3:42 PM on Dec. 2, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• 5 or 6. I would never leave a 1-2 year old in the bathroom alone.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 3:44 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• my husband says 17...lol I would say around 2 or 3 but be nearby...now if you talking about the bathroom being upstairs and you being downstairs I would say 4 or 5
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 3:44 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• i left myn in the bath on their at aroun 2 n half years old but i always listened out incase they shouted me or sounded lyk they needed me
    mummi_sharlene

Answer by mummi_sharlene at 3:46 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I feel that once they are capable of standing/walking they are fine for SHORT periods of time in a bathtub that has enough water in it that its no higher then the top of their legs. Until they are 3+ they are still to young to be left in a bathtub for any longer then 5 min. JMO!!
    SlapHappi

Answer by SlapHappi at 3:46 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• i say 3 or 4 but check up on them every 5 mins. and stay near
    babbykrissy

Answer by babbykrissy at 3:47 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• my daughter is almost 5 & I still dont leave her alone to take a bath.
    mohme2three

Answer by mohme2three at 3:47 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• id say its based on your comfort and only you know your child. with my first i started leaving him for short periods couple mins at a time when he was about 2 but my room was attached to the bathroom so i was only in my room folding clothes or picking up and i could still hear him and see him through the mirror.
    Jaxsmommy09

Answer by Jaxsmommy09 at 3:52 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• 3 or 4. But I stayed nearby. I never went downstairs. It's a good time to fold laundry! My kids constantly talk in the bath. They talk as they play with toys, so I always heard them. If they were quiet for a few seconds, I would peek in.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:53 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• It takes a while. Once they get to running and jumping, they try to do that in the tub, which is super-dangerous. At 3.5, I can be in the two bedrooms across from the bathroom now, but I don't expect to go further than that for a while.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 4:08 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• My daughter is 5 an i still dont leave her alone an its just right down the hall , i may leave her to grab a towel or facecloth but thats it , all it takes is one slip an who knows what would or could happen for the 20 min she is in there i rather be there an know she is safe , but if i had to leave her alone at an age i would say 6-7 .. I 100% would not leave a 2-3 or even a 4 year old alone reguardles if the bathroom was close by !! It only takes a split sec for something bad to happen ..
    BrookesMum

Answer by BrookesMum at 4:46 PM on Dec. 2, 2010