My 9 month old has eczema. I have tried many things to treat it. the only thing that seems to work is Hydrocortizone cream, but I really don't like to use a steroid cream if I don't have to. Has anyone tried something else that works?

jacy3031

Asked by jacy3031 at 11:02 PM on Nov. 5, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My son had HORRIBLE eczema all over his body. I would cover him in aquaphor from head to toe. We tried everything and i did not feel comfortable putting the steroid cream on him all the time. What is working for us now is giving him baths in bottled water. We have this duck tub made by Munchkin that we use. It takes about 2 gallons of water and we heat a little less than half a gallon on the stove then mix it in with the rest. We actually figured this out when we went to Massachusetts and bathed him in just the regular water his skin actually started to get better. I guess the water where I live in California is "hard" and that was not helping his skin. My brothers g.f was a nanny and she suggested giving him a bath in bottled water when we got back. his skin has gotten so much better.
    Andes_Mom

Answer by Andes_Mom at 11:21 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• Our doc gave Phoebe a prescription for Ammonium Lactate Cream. It works pretty well. I don't know if there is an OTC version of it. It's like $15 for a pretty big tube tho, so not too expensive. I put it on my psoriasis and it works pretty well on that too.
    crazybeautifulh

Answer by crazybeautifulh at 11:11 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• Aveeno lotions works really well for eczema. I have eczema and use it all the time.
    myangel21

Answer by myangel21 at 11:19 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• My doctor told me to use Aquaphor on my daughter. It works.
    Angie211

Answer by Angie211 at 11:20 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• I use the Gentle Nature (or something like that) with winnie the pooh on it. It is called Eczema cream. Good luck itchy dry scaly skins sucks!
    shanny35

Answer by shanny35 at 12:16 AM on Nov. 6, 2008

• extra virgin olive oil after baths...all 3 of mine had Eczema and my 10 mnth old is going tru it right now.....the oil work for my kiddos...
    bonnie-jo

Answer by bonnie-jo at 12:35 AM on Nov. 6, 2008

• My nephew has eczema, and they told us that any kind of lotion that is frarance free will work. We always used aveeno and it worked great.
    loving_mom08

Answer by loving_mom08 at 12:39 AM on Nov. 6, 2008