does your childs school do the santa work shop? Who do they buy for?

This is our first year of doing this since my daughter is in kindergarden. I know they buy for like mommy, daddy, siblings, but do you have them buy for anyone else? If so who? Do you give them enough money so they can get themselves something as well? My daughter keeps telling me she wants something too. I told her this is supose to be so you can get family stuff for christmas, but she still wants to get herself something

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:07 PM on Dec. 2, 2010 in General Parenting

• this is my oldest's first year in a "real" type of school (not a daycare) and they just sent the papers home today for santa's shop. at first i didnt really want to do it, i honestly cant afford to dish out anymore money to her school (private school, sucking the life out of my wallet) but im also thinking how sad i would be for her when her classmates go shop and she won't be able to. so im just going to have her shop for my mom & dad and maaaybe my mil. if i had the extra money and she asked to get her something for herself, i'd let her pick one item for herself. good thing she hasn't asked lol
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 4:09 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• same here we just got ours sent home today and by the way I didn't realize i was anon
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:23 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I don't know if this school does but their old one did.  They buy for each other, me, hubby and used to buy for my dad because we lived with him.  Because of the number of people they had to buy for and the number of kids I had in school that left only $2 per gift and they were not allowed to buy stuff for themselves.  The purpose is to teach them to be selfless and think of others.  I still have issues with my oldest (now 10) who always buys crap for her siblings and then gets herself somehing nice and lies about it, hides it from me, etc.  My other 2 kids are completely selfless and always over spend and have to put something back or don't get something for each person on their list.

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 5:10 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• we just got the letter today and honestly Im going to send a little for each gift. I dont know if they allow the child to get themselves anything since I had a form to fill out on who he would buy for which would be me, his dad and his older sister. I am going to try to help with it so I guess I will figure it out,lol
    mandynjohnsmom

Answer by mandynjohnsmom at 8:18 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• yes! I give hem each 30 dolr and they buy for mom, ( me) da and all thier brother and sister ( 4 each)
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 10:59 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• The "thought" behind it is to not buy things for themselves but the 3 years I was on the PTO and worked the santa shop they probably bought most of it for themselves.

We tried to keep gifts under $5 and most were $2- $3.
    Sandyr911

Answer by Sandyr911 at 2:12 PM on Dec. 3, 2010