why is it that some ethnic groups want to take away the saying "Merry Christmas" in America?

do you agree with this? i realize the US is like the "universal" country now, we have all different types of cultures, religions, holidays & traditions. but i do not agree with other groups coming over here and trying to switch up our traditions. can i go over to another country and say "hey, i'm offended by this holiday that you have been celebrating for thousands of years. please re-adjust your holiday style to fit my needs."

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:01 PM on Dec. 2, 2010 in Religious Debate

• As far as I know, it is not illegal to say Merry Christmas. If someone doesn't like it when I say it, they can get over it. I know that in a lot of stores, etc. the cashiers will say "Happy Holidays" so as not to offend anyone, but I will continue to say "Merry Christmas" as much as I please.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 9:48 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• "ethnic groups"? To whom are you referring?

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 5:06 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• There is no war on christmas! NO one can take away Christ from you...if you're so weak in your faith, maybe you should take that up with your GOD.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 5:26 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I feel like if someone wants to say Happy Holidays thats fine with me. But if I want to say Merry Christmas then I'm gonna say it.
    jnd951999

Answer by jnd951999 at 5:03 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I'm curious about this "ethnic group" thing too...

"but i do not agree with other groups coming over here and trying to switch up our traditions"

No one is trying to switch up YOUR tradition. Say "Merry Christmas" if you like to & ef anyone who gets offended by it.

Also, we have not been celebrating x-mas for thousands of years in the US. We're only like 200+ years old. AND our country was not founded by Christian values, so to say that anyone is coming over here & trying to change traditions is just ridiculous.

ALSO, the US has ALWAYS been a "universal" country. When was it not? This country was made up of immigrants when it was born...there has always been diversity here. Nothing new...
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 5:18 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Who, specifically, is trying to take away Merry Christmas? A source would be nice too.

Sounds like more persecuted Christian paranoia to me.

Friday

Answer by Friday at 5:23 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

•  I'm a christian and I'm going to do whatever I want in what ever way I want without feeling I have to please them doing it.

Who is trying to prevent you from exercising your beliefs and celebrating any holiday in whatever manner you please?

Friday

Answer by Friday at 5:24 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• SG. . . and you're not? What was that plethora of posts you graced this section with recently? Weren't they about how much you hate Atheists? Is one kind of hate better than another? Is it only acceptable to be Christian--and your brand of Christianity?

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 6:58 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Oy Vey more bitching. I thought this was supposed to be a season of peace on earth and goodwill towards your fellow man. Tell you what, let's just cancel the whole friggin holiday so nobody can get offended by decorations or christmas carols(sarcasm). People who are offended by this type of thing are looking to be offended. They have a need to feel persecuted. They have a need to go see a psychotherapist. Get a grip.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 7:42 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Yes i do not understand the ethnic group part of the question. I don't think that anyone "came" over here and expects us not to celebrate. I just think that diversity in the US as to different religions is coming to the forefront.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 5:09 PM on Dec. 2, 2010