how do i get my timid kindergardener to demand to use the restroom?

ok, today is the second time this year when my dd had an accident at school. (luckily she had a change of clothes in her backpack). the first time the recess teacher told her she would loose recess if she went in to use the restroom. this time the teacher swears she never heard her ask. (teacher was dealing with a student who had a bloody lip).
my dd is one of those kids who always asks to go to the restroom (even at home). when she decided she wanted to potty train, that was it, she never had an accident. she also is extremely polite and will not do something if she thinks it will get her in trouble.

so how do i get her to use the restroom even if the teacher tells her "not now"? or at the very least get her to go before it becomes an emergency?

Phippsandrea

Asked by Phippsandrea at 5:04 PM on Dec. 2, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Sit down with your daughter and discuss her asking and asking early. Take her for a meeting with the teacher and discuss it with both of them. That way they all you included are aware of how this is going to be handled. Have her go to the bathroom just before school. and maybe at lunch time.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 5:08 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I woud explain that you daughter always asks to go to the bathroom at home and thats just how she is...if shes asking she really needs to go...hopefully the teacher will understand.
    michaux

Answer by michaux at 5:08 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• If the teacher is consistently not allowing her to use the restroom and if your child is going when everyone is allowed to go, I would contact the school principal. It's been a long time since my children were in school, and I know things are a bit more regimented nowdays, but some children simply need to pee more often than others. Those children should not be denied access to the restroom and I would not rest until I had that understood.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 5:13 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I didn't know that kids could demand anything to their teachers. Maybe it would be best if you went to the teacher to discuss this issue. If the teacher isn't helpful then go above their head. Your child will see your example and THAT will be helpful to her in the future. =)
    firenicecream

Answer by firenicecream at 5:18 PM on Dec. 2, 2010