How do you show appreciation to your DH?

I'm a sahm and my hubby works so hard. 6 days a week 12-13 hrs a day he works at a window fab factory to support me and our son. How do I let him know how much I appreciate that? I do some little things for him around the house but I still don't think he gets that I really am thankful for him every day. He gets so down about his job and the time it takes away from our family life.Sometimes he goes in long after the baby goes to sleep just to pick him up and hold him. It's so sad. I just want to do something for him every now and then to let him know how great he is. Any ideas?

mommywho28

Asked by mommywho28 at 5:14 PM on Dec. 2, 2010 in Relationships

• BJ

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 5:15 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Write him little notes of appreciation and tuck them in places where he will surely find them. If he takes his lunch, put them in there. And just tell him. I don't think men ever get tired of hearing that they are appreciated. Make his favorite dessert and tell him you did it because he does so much for you. It doesn't have to be a big thing that you do. Lots of little things will be sufficient.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 5:17 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• lmfao butterflyblue19...but she's not wrong! Now I think your probably talking about something less sexual...in which case...since he likes spending time with the baby and if it's not to cold where you live, plan a picnic before it does get cold. don't tell him what ur doing, just do it and tell him you all have plans on so and so date. period. pack his favorite comfort foods, his favorite six pack, radio and family and enjoy.
    ShouldHaveLeft

Answer by ShouldHaveLeft at 5:17 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Butterflyblue, your answer made me literately LOL! But You are so right!! Do little things for him, because those sure add up!! Like making his favorite food, leaving him a note, putting a picture of him and your child in a frame, having your child make something for him (depending on age of course).
    TsMommy428

Answer by TsMommy428 at 5:23 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• How does he view/interpet/express appreciation?

We all have our own way of showing/interpreting appreciation (affection, respect..ect). The best way to show him how much you appreciate him. Is by doing things that he views as showing appreciation.That way he "gets' what you are doing. He will understand/comprehend the intentions behind your actions. Which will in turn, make HIM appreciate you even more for what you are doing..

I used to do things for my husband that I felt showed him how much I appreciated him. However, the problem was, I was not showing that in a manner in which he "got" it (because how we express/interpret are different). So, he didn't respond/react the way I had accepted/wanted.. I would be hurt by my efforts not being recognized, he would be hurt because he felt I didn't appreciate. Once we learned how we each show/inerpret appreciation, we both recognize the intent behind actions now.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 5:23 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I knew someone would say bj! lmao That is one thing I do because I know he is tired and doesn't always want to go the extra mile. lol Great ideas though ladies! Keep em comin.
    mommywho28

Comment by mommywho28 (original poster) at 5:24 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Make him the foods he enjoys, make sure his clothes are clean and smell good, give him a full body massage, blow jobs, lap dances, let him do what he enjoys(for mine, it's video games) without whining about it,etc
    HappyMonkeys

Answer by HappyMonkeys at 5:25 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Oh boy pixie trix, looks like there are more bjs in my future. lol Makes a lot of sense though. Sometimes I don't think he knows I'm trying to appreciate him.
    mommywho28

Comment by mommywho28 (original poster) at 5:29 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Awww, what a great guy you have! My husband works a lot and has to miss out on a lot too. I take pictures of the kids doing things throughout the day and in the text line I write something like how lucky "I am the luckiest woman in the world to have a husband who does so much, and is willing to sacrafice so much for us, I love you!." Or other things around the lines of how wonderful he is. He likes to know that I see that he sacrafices for us, and that I apreciate that. Do little things around the house that you know he wants done, make sure the time he is at home he gets to spend enjoying his family, i never expect him to do anything when he is here. Give him back rubs and just constantly tell him that I am one lucky woman to have him in my life. Make him homemade goodies to take to work with him, so he has a touch of home away from home, do cookies and stuff in the shapes of hearts. lots of things!
    -LovingMamma-

Answer by -LovingMamma- at 5:33 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• LOL... Hey if BJ's do the job.. .. LOL

But really think about it.. How often do we as women/wives/lovers do something for our partners that **we** feel is just super. That it is something that **we** would find romantic, or something **we** would appreciate, that **we** would like done for us.. Then get hurt/disappointed when our partners do not react the way we thought/hopes/wanted them to. And we get hurt, I know I do. It hurts because we did something for them. KWIM. However, if it's not something that they view the same way we do, they aren't going to "get" the intention behind our actions That's how lots of couples get into the stalemate of: I do this and he doesn't appreciate me. I do that and she doesn't appreciate me. I did this and he hurt me because he didn't understand why I did it.Get the idea.

Feel him out or flat out ask. "What do YOU view as being appreciated/me showing you I appreciate you".
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 5:34 PM on Dec. 2, 2010