How much would you charge to...

Cater for someone?
I am trying to turn my hobby of baking and decorating cupcakes into a small business and someone asked me if and how much I'd charge to cater. I don't know what to charge, I have never catered anything or had anything catered.
I need to tell her 1 price for delivery
and
1 price for catering
any suggestions?

OBImomma

Asked by OBImomma at 5:27 PM on Dec. 2, 2010 in Money & Work

• Use a flat fee for delivery. Say $10. For the catering, you'll need to cover the cost of the food and your time. The typical pricing formula is to take what it cost you and then double it.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 11:49 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• Look into what other area businesses charge....and well, to be legit you need a business license and need your kitchen inspected and improved. There are a lot of rules and regulations when it comes to food prep, such as a seperate sink for dishes and rinsing food. A friend of mine wanted to start a catering business but her kitchen needed about $15,000 in upgrades in order to do it out of her home. She couldn't afford it
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 5:32 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• If this is your first catering job...ask them how many people it's for...figure out how much the ingredients will cost you, divide it by the number of people and tack on an extre $2 or $3 per person. If you need to deliver it to far away...add more.
    ShouldHaveLeft

Answer by ShouldHaveLeft at 5:29 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Start by finding out what she wants and figure out how much that will cost you. You'll want to charge enough to cover your costs and your time, so add to the cost what you think your time is worth.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 5:30 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• what do you mean by one piece for deliver? like one item like a pizza delivery? If its not that faw away I would go by the same the pizza guys charge about a dollar, maybe 2 cause its a specialty. If its further away then a certain mileage of course more. You could call another bakery and ask them how much they would charge for it to get an idea for what you should charge so you dont over/undercharge
    LittleBirdFly

Answer by LittleBirdFly at 5:31 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• and I only meant the charge for the delivery of course not the item
    LittleBirdFly

Answer by LittleBirdFly at 5:32 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Sorry... *1 price for delivery
    and it's be cupcakes I already have prices for them its just the delivery/catering I need prices for
    OBImomma

Comment by OBImomma (original poster) at 5:36 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• This is too broad of a question.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 5:37 PM on Dec. 2, 2010