Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Severe adhd

I had to leave work to get my 6 year old from school. He's suspended for a week. He threw chairs, screamed, kicked anyone who got near him. This behavior is a bit worse than usual but this has been going on since....he was a baby. Even as an infant I knew he was very active and impulsive. I love him so much and I cry in private all the time. He is very loving and affectionate. He's funny and very smart. His teachers say "amazingly smart". He's also very impulsive, aggressive, hyper active, and emotional. He will punch and kick walls. I didn't want meds until I was told it would only help him stay in school. Ritalin helps for a few hours. I don't know what to do. He was kicked out of his last school. I had him repeat grade K at a different school because I was told he may not have been ready for school. I'm so tired. I don't know how I'm going to keep the job I need if I keep having to leave. I already have to take off work for his therapy, his psychiatrist, even my own therapist. What would you do? I feel so sad and lost. I love my son more than my own life. I'm sad for him and worried about him.

Answer Question
 
SwePea

Asked by SwePea at 5:51 PM on Dec. 2, 2010 in Kids' Health

Level 10 (474 Credits)
Answers (11)
  • He might need a different med that doesn't wear off so soon. If you have anyone who can help you out from time to time, let them. Trying to do your best and what's right for an ADHD kid is exhausting. GL!
    TweenAndTwinMom

    Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 5:55 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

  • I know exactly how you feel. You basically described my son. Last year, my son was in pre-k and I worked full time outside the home. At first my boss was okay with me leaving to go pick him up when he had a meltdown, a doctor's appt, or a psychologist appt, but it got so bad that she just started cutting my hours until I was only working 5 hours a week. My son is in Kindergarten now and he had a very rough start but it is getting better. I still don't feel comfortable getting a full time job just yet, so I am substitute teaching and doing odd jobs to make extra money. I will only be able to do this for a few more months until I HAVE to get a job, but hopefully, by then my son will have adjusted. As far as medicines go, do what you feel is best. If you think that the Ritalin is not working long enough then talk with his doctor about another medicine or another dose if necessary. Good Luck!

    JeremysMom

    Answer by JeremysMom at 6:02 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

  • 90% of add cases are phony. Sounds like you may fall into the other 10%.
    strictgram

    Answer by strictgram at 6:12 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

  • i think you are doing all you can, i'm not sure what else you can do... sorry...
    asil

    Answer by asil at 12:57 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

  • Get him off Ritalin! It's a sucky med. My little brother (who is not 12) has severe ADHD as well and he's on Concerta. It's amazing! THey have a high dose and a low dose. He needs the high dose. Maybe you should talk to your pediatrician about switching meds.
    liz.1986

    Answer by liz.1986 at 4:24 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

  • oops, that should say "who is noW 12)
    liz.1986

    Answer by liz.1986 at 4:24 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

  • He needs to be evaluated. I have worked with a lot of kids that are ADHD and have a child that is ADHD and NONE of them are violent. Sounds like he has something else going on. Also, try a different med...finding a med that works is a waiting game. Some meds work for one kid and not another. My son has been on Ritlain, Concerta and Vyvanse. Concerta worked the best.
    tyfry7496

    Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:26 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

  • I read the responses and it seems as if you have received very sound advice. I just wanted to take a moment to say good luck to you, I hope you are able to find something to help. I know how hard it is as a Mother to deal with you child suffering. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.
    Peajewel

    Answer by Peajewel at 7:52 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

  • I can't add anything else, but good luck and hang in there.
    ethans_momma06

    Answer by ethans_momma06 at 11:32 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

  • I deal with three children on meds for 1 is add and my twins are adhd we use orecta 18 mg it works wonders but my thre angels also have two other disorders that we just found in june and july. I wish you the best in what you decide
    butterflysmom

    Answer by butterflysmom at 6:31 AM on Dec. 5, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN