what to teach at christmas time

How many of you feel that the true meaning of christmas got lost at walmart? I am not usually one to push or advertise my beliefs but I am starting to wonder if Jesus Christ got lost in his own birthday celebration. I am not against santa or rudolf or even presents (giving them, not so much recieving them though) I have a christmas tree (which the bible says not to do) and we leave cookies for santa and I do these because they are american traditions at christmas time but what happened to this celebration being about love, giving and caring for others? Alot of the children around me are more worried about what they are gonna get than ANYTHING else. does anyone else see this or feel sad about this? How do we get back to old time tradition of making cookies with our kids and stringing popcorn as a family? And truley enjoying spending time together!

scanamey77

Asked by scanamey77 at 6:03 PM on Dec. 2, 2010 in General Parenting

• i do 4 sure understand what u mean but i am so thankful my kids (grown now) but i didnt have that problem now that i have grands i still dt have that problem, 1 through out the yr they are getting something if nothing but a big active book they can color write ect so when xmas come they do not ask for anything we just get them a few things this yr my grands are getting 1vtech and the disk to help with math ect ect and 2outfits, thats it,

i have 5grands each 1 got the samething something to help them and cloths for them some folks go all out then be crying later about how they cant pay this are that... i think if some parents would teach them whie they are little about the meaning of xmas they will not have a problem when they get older,my kids all ask me what i wanted i say it every yr nothing to be blessed to see another is enough for me.teach them about baby jesus and how christmas came to be
    6carebears

Answer by 6carebears at 12:30 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• Teach them the history of Christmas as well as what the Bible teaches. Do you know of a needy family? Play Santa with your kids. Buy some groceries (or store certificate), maybe a couple of toys for the children, or clothes (if needed). Have one of the children put the stuff QUIETLY on the porch, ring the doorbell and run for cover. If you can watch from a vantage point where you won't be seen, film the reaction when the door is opened. Share with the children later. Ask them how they felt to help someone that needed help. And, teach them bragging takes away from the joy of what you've done.
    Kimimale

Answer by Kimimale at 6:22 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Does any one here just finally want to know why we can't live up to this.....''holiday''. Jesus loved us first, by dying for our human condition. we aren't obligated to anyone to celebrate or not, the scriptures say that all we keep in memory is his death, and to remember it by taking the bread of life and the blood (wine, grape juice,) as remembrance of his day of sacrifice. We aren't supposed to coddle him like a baby, but remember him as our saviour, this is why so many of us get all upset and even have debates about how to celebrate or what style to wear, what to do this, how to feel, it's nonsense, it's about his love that he so freely gave for our human condition. Holidays aren't giving us anything. we are only to love our neighbor as we love ourselves.
    Anonymous

• i know ppl are soo worried about presents and i would much rather spend time with my family , enjoying each others company, and remembering why your celebrating it .
    bekkaboo89

Answer by bekkaboo89 at 6:17 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• besides God sees what we are inside, it's not the hoopla that's important.
    Anonymous

• I still do think american traditions are important, whether you are religious or not. I would just like to see more wholesome family time happening, there is no harm in that.
    scanamey77

Comment by scanamey77 (original poster) at 6:28 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• We are very apt about teaching about Jesus at Chritmas. We go to churc regularly, they do pageants, and we read Christmas stories all the time. Plus ur manger doesnt get baby jeasus until christmas morning, and w go to midnight mass on Christmas eve. ( Catholic). When we put the tree up we tell the religious story of how the tree came bout, we also tell the true story of St. Nicholas! We do Christams big, and have it fun, but we make sure they understand why we have the holiday!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 10:54 AM on Dec. 3, 2010