does anyone still use cloth diapers? how do u wash them when there is # 2.

maya123

Asked by maya123 at 6:28 PM on Dec. 2, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I used cloth diapers. I always flushed the solids down the toilet. Then I kept a 5 gallon bucket by the washer that had water, 1 1/2 cups of bleach and 2 scoops of Biz in it. I just dropped the soiled diapers in this bucket to soak till I did the load at the end of the day. I also had a cut of broom stick I used to push the diapers into the solution and stir them in a bit. When I did my load of diapers, I always used HOT water, 1 cup of bleach, 2 scoops of Biz and used the extra rinse cylce. I always had bright white diapers that looked like new. My step-mom who is a clean freak was ALWAYS impressed! I also used the same method with all the training pants during the potty training days.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 6:33 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I might add that I was doing this with twins!! LOL
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 6:34 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Same as with #1, just more at a time.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 6:29 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I raised 4 kids bleaching their cloth diapers and didn't have a single irritated baby bottom. As I said before, I also used the 2nd rinse cycle for additional rinsing. We went through diapers way too quickly (especially with the twins) to wait on them to hang dry outside. And, not ALL days are full of sunshine.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 7:28 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• If the child is not getting any solid food yet then they simply get put in the washer as is. Once the poops become more solid due to solid food then I had a spatula that I scrapped it in the toilet and then put it with the others in the wet pail to be washed. You should NOT use bleach on diapers due to the harsh chemicals hurting the childrens bottoms To keep them white simply hang them in the sun to naturally bleach.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 7:13 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• My mom use to dump the solid #2 in the toilet and flush it when my sister was little. She than poured a little soap on them and rubbed it real good. Than when she washed them she used a little bleach in the laundry.
    SheriesMom

Answer by SheriesMom at 8:26 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• It depend on what kind of cloth diapers you are talking about. All the above directions are probably fine for prefolds but not for the newer cloth diapers like All IN ONE Cloth diapers, or Pocket cloth diapers. I use pocket cloth diapers and you cant use bleach or just any detergent. There is only certain kinds of detergent that can be used or it will cause build up and cause your diapers to repel and leak. I use Rockin Geen cloth diaper detergent. I wash poopy diapers and pee diapers all in one load, I do a cold water rinse cycle then a hot water wash followed by an an additional cold water rince. If you need some great information on newer cloth diapers and how to care for them go to www.jilliansdrawers.com
    wood1980

Answer by wood1980 at 9:23 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I use cloth diapers, prefolds and pocket diapers. When she was just breastfed I put the poopy diapers in the pail as is. Now that she's on solids, I will shake the poop into the toilet first, or if it doesn't shake off easily, I will rinse the diaper in the toilet and then wring it out. I have a pair of gloves that I keep in a small plastic container specifically for this reason. Then I put the diaper in the pail with the rest of the diapers. I wash every other day. I have a front loader so I will do on speed wash on cold, heavy soil with three squirts of Bac-out. Then I do one permanent press wash on hot, normal soil, with an extra rinse with a tiny bit of detergent. Right now I'm using Bio-Kleen but I am almost out and am going to switch to Rockin Green. My diaper pail is a lidded trash can with a large wet bag.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 9:39 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• If EBF, the EBF stool doesn't need to be rinsed prior to washing. Just toss in washer as you would with urine diapers. Once baby gets anything else in their diet (formula, solids) and the stool has more substance, just shake the solid parts into the toilet, and wash as usual.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 1:50 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• wood1980, I used AIO's and just used my regular detergent, which is a free and clear. In about 2 yrs of CDing, I only had to strip them 2 or 3 times. I suppose it depends on the detergent you use.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 1:52 PM on Dec. 3, 2010