Unconventional disipline?

Have a 21/2 yr. old who is really, really smart. She is 21/2 yrs. old and is not biologically mine. She was born drug addicted who has BAD ODD and likely ADHD. Believe me I have tried EVERY possible conventional method of disipline. However since I got her around 18 mths. I have ALOT to unwind. I am extremely consistant with her and I have noticed some postive reasults!! She is very much loved and in a structured home. I have had her fore 11 mths. I need ideas out there that might work for her. I pour the postive praise one when she does well. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Have a great day guys!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:36 PM on Dec. 2, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I just make sure with my own that my instructions are very clear and simple and as long as your consistent it wont matter to much which tactic you take. god bless you for opening up your heart and home that is gonna make all the difference in this childs life:)
    scanamey77

Answer by scanamey77 at 6:48 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Get the book "The Incredible Years" by Carolyn Webster- Stratton! Me and my DH went to a workshop based on the book and it's incredible. Instead of focusing on disipline, it focuses on how to inteact with your child ( gives dialogue and everything) so that you don't have to do as much actual discipline and helps you bond more and deepens your childs trust in you!
    You can see if they do workshops based on the book in your area!
    nwdeserangel

Answer by nwdeserangel at 7:12 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• BTW- the book should work with any kind of child. In the workshop, there were other parents with children with ADHD and I think Autism, as well. And it can also be used for kids that don't have any behavioral issues.
    nwdeserangel

Answer by nwdeserangel at 7:14 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I have 4 friends who have kids with Autism and they just have alot of patience and keep things regular. You know if you messes up or does wrong correct her in firm voice and move on . When she does good give her lots of praise and more time on the positive then her negative behavior. Then she learns that good things have more time and bad things make people not want to play .

Good luck and know that this is a long but rewarding process in the end.

karing4elmas

Answer by karing4elmas at 7:24 PM on Dec. 2, 2010