For those who post writing online (like poetry, short stories, etc.)

Are you ever worried that someone is going to steal your stuff?

Mrs.BAT

Asked by Mrs.BAT at 6:46 PM on Dec. 2, 2010 in Hobbies & Crafts

• Sure I worry but there isn't much that can be done about it. Even posting a creative commons license on my blogs isn't going to keep a thief away. If someone really wants it, they will take it. But I want my works to get out there. I want people to read it, so publish it the only way I can right now which is online. For now, I use online publishing for 'arts sake' instead of trying to earn a living. But if I was intending to publish a work with a publishing house I wouldn't post it online.

I know my rights and I know what actions I can take to get my works removed from a site. Knowing copyright law is important and almost changes daily when it comes to the internet. This is just part of the publishing world. Even if you did hardcopy publishing you'd still have worries that somebody will plagiarise it or wholesale steal and claim it as their own.
    isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 9:11 AM on Dec. 5, 2010

• Yes, that's why I no longer post them.
    bseastrand

Answer by bseastrand at 10:58 PM on Dec. 2, 2010