Teaching Bilingual Kids

I have a ten year old and a three year old. My ten year old son speaks no spanish (horrible mistake on my part) and my daughter understands some. I am trying to teach them spanish but am just not sure how to go about it. I know they say just talk to them in Spanish but what happens when they don't understand what I'm saying? DO I translate and tehn say it again in spanish? For my toddler when teaching the ABC and 123's will it confuse her learning them in both languages?! HELPPP PLEASEEE! I really want to make sure my kids know the language and am desperate for advice!! Wghat has worked for you? My husband speaks to them in Egnlish and I would be the one in Spanish. thnx so much for your support!

Erica0821

Asked by Erica0821 at 6:46 PM on Dec. 2, 2010 in General Parenting

• I taught all three of mine Spanish first, you need to speak to them in Spanish all the time, and translate if you must.

Answer by older at 6:48 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I think your idea is right. If they don't understand, you can translate, or you can also try picking up a book and saying, "Libro". Speak to them primarily in Spanish, so that it's normal for them. The sooner the better! =)
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 6:57 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• How did you teach them English? There was nothing to translate. It was more of just living it and learning it. You can do every other day, one day you will speak in English the next day you will speak in Spanish. Or maybe you speak only Spanish at the dinner table. Just immerse them in it they will get it.
    mom2queenie2004

Answer by mom2queenie2004 at 7:04 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Yep, the same way you taught them english. Now is the time to do it, while they're young they'll pick it up really quickly. I teach t school where the students speak only spanish when they get there in K4, by the time they get to first or second grade they are completely bilingual.

skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 7:29 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• my hubby is latinio and im white when we decided to have kids we said alright u speak to them in spanish ill do english. i do also speak some spanish so sometimes they get spanish with me. my ds is 3 and dd is 2 and they understand both. my inlaws speak only spanish to the kids
    knagsmom

Answer by knagsmom at 9:23 PM on Dec. 2, 2010