SO which is really the menace to society?

WICHITA, Kan — A wounded veteran has been charged with targeting members of a fundamentalist Kansas church infamous for protesting at soldiers’ funerals.

Ryan Newell of Marion was charged Thursday with five misdemeanor counts after he allegedly followed members of the Westboro Baptist Church after a protest two days earlier at a Mulvane school. The 26-year-old veteran, identified by one charity as a one-time Army sergeant, was armed with a M4 rifle and two pistols when he was arrested, authorities say. He is being held on $500,000 bond.

Charges filed include intentional conduct causing fear to a person or family, three counts of unlawfully carrying a concealed weapon and one count of falsely representing himself to be a law enforcement officer.

He did not have an attorney for his court appearance Thursday. Trial was tentatively set for Dec. 12.

BlueCollarMama

Asked by BlueCollarMama at 6:52 PM on Dec. 2, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• BlueCollarMama

Comment by BlueCollarMama (original poster) at 6:53 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• i hope now they are too scared to protest, i'm surprised no one has been picking them off earlier at rally's. they are the reason sometimes murdering is ok.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 6:55 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• i think protesting at a funeral is horrible.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 6:59 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Look, I know what they're doing is seriously horrid and that to many, including me, their beliefs are seriously twisted...but murdering is NEVER ok. You're upset because they walk around spewing hate and yet you are spewing right back at them. You need to think that through...seriously. (Directed at angevil53)
    an-apple-a-day

Answer by an-apple-a-day at 6:59 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• By law.. The gentlemen that was arrested would be considerd the menace.........

My personal opinion, is pretty much the same. While I abhor and detst WBC and the entire Phelps clan (what they do and what they stand for), following them around armed trying to initmidate them is not the solution to dealing with them. He also crossed the line carrying guns illegally and impersonating an officer, this is where he really messed up . Again. I abhor, detest, Loathe Phelps and his ilk. However, I do not view breaking the law as the best means of dealing with them.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 7:01 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• good issue to raise by the way...I think he was definitely wrong to follow then around with guns....even if they do suck :P
    an-apple-a-day

Answer by an-apple-a-day at 7:09 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I hate to see otherwise upstanding individuals ruin their lives over the ignoramuses at WBC--they're so not worth it!!! It just means that WBC wins. UGH!!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:17 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I could say they pissed off the wrong guy ....
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 7:19 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I wanted to add this.

One of the main reasons the Phelps clan gets away with everything they do is because: they make sure everything they do is within the letter of the law..They are all (well most of them anyway) lawyers. That's how they get away with so much, they always make sure they are acting within the law. And this is also how they make the bulk of their money. They set up their protest (and all the other non-sense they pull) within the law, when people react/respond to them in a manner that does not fall within the letter of the law, they SUE. They sue cities/towns and in most cases win.

In order to deal with these people. It must be done within the law. Another really good thing that should happen in order to make them just go away. The press, and everyone else needs to ignore them and treat them like the plague so that they are not getting the attention or opportunities they need to keep the spotlight
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 7:24 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• He shpuld be awarded a medal.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 7:26 PM on Dec. 2, 2010