Does your child have too much homework? In your opinion.

My son is in 1st grade and has quit a bit of homework each evening. He gets out of school at 3:45, I start dinner soon after he gets home and the rest of the evening is filled with homework and complaining from him. He says "Mom I already went to school today." I am really frustrated.

momluja

Asked by momluja at 6:56 PM on Dec. 2, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Yes, i certainly do. Homework can take up most of our evenings sometimes. But, we get it done...
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 7:02 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• my son is in the first grade too. he gets no homework. sometimes i give him an hour of work to do, just because i don't think he is getting enough in school. then i feel guilty for not letting him play. then i remind myself that he does play at school. i haven't found the balance here yet.g
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 7:03 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• My son doesn't get enough IMO. I think this year he's only had HW half a dozen times.
    Sharell8710

Answer by Sharell8710 at 7:03 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• What is a quite a bit of homework? And is he doing the homework or spending more time complaining so it takes longer?

My kinder kid gets a worksheet or a book 4 nights a week. Nothing weekends or holidays.

His brother and sister are older and all I remember from 1st grade was at least 20 minutes of reading. I am guessing they had work sheets as well, but they are in 6th and 7th, so they definitely have more. Again, nothing on holidays and limited over weekends.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 7:03 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I used to, but thankfully she's been sending home worksheets instead of a bunch of written work. Homework used to take us about an hour (just for Kinder, because my son gets easily frustrated and bored and we have to take breaks) now it only takes us about half an hour.
    liz.1986

Answer by liz.1986 at 3:07 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• My son and I used to sit down and do homework together for about 1 1/2 hours a night. There are nights I would want to scream but for the most part, no biggie. Now my daughter is in preschool and she does not have any homework yet but I sit down with her at night and go through what she learned that day for about 1/2 an hour to 45 minutes.
    Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 8:30 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• Not at all. my son is in fifth grade this year and I expected more work, but he never has too much.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 9:11 AM on Dec. 4, 2010

• no even though my son might think so
    mary40407

Answer by mary40407 at 11:49 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• No I am ok with the amount he has. He is in 2nd grade. If he were to sit down and do it all at once, it might only take 30 min. He has a whole week to do it. He does about 20 min of reading per day but I am good with that too.
    choco_mom

Answer by choco_mom at 1:20 PM on Dec. 6, 2010