3 year old using curse words?

im not sure what is going on with my 3 year old sons poor additude, he told his teacher F*** no! today twice and has had a fowl additude here at home as well, told him any more bad words and we are taking away lightning mcqueen not sure what else to do.....one more bout of freaking out he will be going to bed early! he usually doesn't curse and we try our hardest to watch language of course there are slip ups. what do i do? i told him that is grown up talk, and not nice to say.

this is the first day he is cursing like a sailor as well

sami07

Asked by sami07 at 6:58 PM on Dec. 2, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• i would either spank him or put soap in his mouth, seriously
    Anonymous

• he heard the f word some where, you say there are slip ups and you tell him that it is grown up talk? I would tell him that you were wrong for saying it and that no one will be saying that anymore., then you have to stop talking that way in front of him
    sue118

Answer by sue118 at 7:02 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• He will forget it if no one continues to make a big deal about it. And those who are using the foul language don't keep reinforce what he is already learned. He is still young and if it doesn't draw a great deal of attention to him he may very well forget about it. Let's face it, a three year old doesn't know what the words mean in the first place.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 7:07 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• My dd did the same thing and we tried EVERYTHING!! Nothing worked! She kept saying curse words so when i took her in for her 4 year check I talked to her dr about a few ideas we had to make sure what we wanted to try wouldn't be wrong and she gave me the go ahead so, how we fixed it is the next time she said the "f" word I put her in time out and put hot sauce on her tongue. She hasn't said a bad word since. I know i will probably get bashed for this but whatever i checked with her Dr and she said it wouldn't hurt her and that she thought it was a good idea...

momofone072506

Answer by momofone072506 at 7:18 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• JMHO:

Seems to me there is more than "slip ups". To me a slip up is you kid slamming your hand in the dryer door and you slipping up and saying s* or f* because of the pain. But for a 3 year old to put a work like f* in a sentance means there is more than slip ups being said around them. Not bashing just calling it as I see it.
    Jwick

Answer by Jwick at 7:19 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• oh i just wanted to add that the way my dd learned those words was becasue we were REALLY stupid and had a party for the nba playoffs at our house and dh's friends started yelling things like "what the f" and BS at the tv and i thought dd was in her room but it turned out she was hiding behind a chair in the family room needless to say we do not have people over for sport games anymore when dd is home.
    momofone072506

Answer by momofone072506 at 7:37 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• yeah i feel like he has picked up a lot from family members "lots of young young adults" i have asked them to stop not sure what else to do there? thanks guys i told my hubby "if you hear me say a bad word in front of josh tell me, that word isnt nice mommy we dont wanna talk like that" and im gonna do the same maybe if we call each other out on it (nicely) we will be even more less pron to use it.

thanks for all the advice but not sure i could do hot sauce or soap it was done to me and still makes me pissed my parents did it lol but to each there own. we are cracking down more on time outs too.
    sami07

Comment by sami07 (original poster) at 8:44 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I think more kids than not go through this. It will pass. I don't think you should make a huge issue out of it or he will keep saying it because he gets attention. Make it easy for him to get over. Offer a small treat or prize for every day he makes it without potty words.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:47 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• we use spanking ant pops in the mouth! i know it sound bad but my 3 yr old son hates that so it makes him stop with the language!
    Tiffany_Rivera_

Answer by Tiffany_Rivera_ at 2:39 PM on Dec. 3, 2010