What are some good ways to save money?

Groceries, cutting electricity bills(we have a fish business we just started, and tanks cost a lot to run) utilites, etc

Denversmommy

Asked by Denversmommy at 8:12 PM on Jul. 5, 2008 in About CafeMom

• Buy store name brand groceries. Look for sales and coupons but don't go overboard and buy junk just b/c it is on sale. Shop at cheaper grocery stores. Turn off lights, unplug things when not using them, if you have a power strip plug then turn it off when it is not needed, unplug charges b/c they use the same amount of energy whether you are using them or not, turn off your hot water heater and only turn on about an hour before you need to do showers and dishes.
    momoflilangel

Answer by momoflilangel at 9:07 PM on Jul. 5, 2008

• My biggest suggestion is to join the forums at http://www.frugalvillage.com/forums

They have helped me tremendously!!
    MamaPyratekk

Answer by MamaPyratekk at 10:22 PM on Jul. 5, 2008

• Buy in bulk. Use two ply regular tissue not extra thick charmin or whatever. I have a roll of papertowels in my bathroom. After I dry my hands off I unfole the towel and lay it on the sink to dry. I reuse it again and again until it starts to fall apart and then use it as tissue to wipe with and then throw it away. But frozen vegetable instead of canned, save the rest for later. If you have a cell phone, get house phone disconnected. Have a dinner get together with friends, keep leftovers. As far as utilities, always cut off lights when not in use, if you don't watch cable that much, then get it disconnected. Use nightlight to navigate through the house at night rather than turning lights on to go to bathroom in dark. Unplug toasters, blenders, and other appliances that are not used all the time, they run up your electricity bill without you knowing. Wash clothes at night if you wash at home, the meter runs slower after 5pm when the utility ppl are not working.
    Queentdi

Answer by Queentdi at 12:30 AM on Jul. 6, 2008

• Try to get a lot done while sun is up. Hang clothes to dry instead of using dryer. Do not purchase things that you can live without. The list is endless. I came up with a lot of money saving tips when i got my first apartment. Do not cook everyday, cook a lot today and freeze the rest or eat leftovers until its gone. Drink lots of water instead of buying juices and sodas. Eat buttered toast instead of potato chips. lol, I can fill this page up with all kinds of suggestions. Febreeze your tops and pants if they are not stained, that cuts back on laundry. Use nair instead of shaving, it saves water. Drop in at a friends house while they are cooking and invite yourself to dinner. lol. If you live in the shade or have plenty of trees, then use fans in the house instead of A/C. Use the grill more often istead of the stove. Get a cheap charcoal grill, gas is not necessary.
    Queentdi

Answer by Queentdi at 12:38 AM on Jul. 6, 2008