Florida to propose Arizona-style illegal immigration enforcement law.

Florida's measure would allow law enforcement officers during a lawful detention or arrest to ask for the detainee’s immigration documents if the officer suspects they may be in the country illegally. The bill, however, prohibits law enforcement from using race as a reason for checking the person’s documentation. The bill also penalizes legal aliens who refuse to carry their documentation, with a possible fine of up to $100 and a 20-day jail sentence.

~~~~

As other states follow behind Arizona to crack down on illegal aliens ~ Do you think your state should do more?

grlygrlz2

Asked by grlygrlz2 at 7:03 PM on Dec. 2, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• woohoo

And I DEFINITELY wish my state's elected officials would do everything possible to rid PA of sanctuary cities--Allentown in the closest one to me.

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:14 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• My state should definitely do more. Bill White ruined Harris County, thank goodness he didn't get his hands on the state.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 7:40 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Now if only the rest would follow suit
    meriana

Answer by meriana at 7:51 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I think this is great! I hope every state steps up and incorporates this type of law.
    thundernlight

Answer by thundernlight at 10:49 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Something similar was proposed in Tx a couple of years ago but didn't stand a chance then. It is scheduled to be brought up again in 2011. Will a 99-51 Republican numbers, it's got an excellent chance. Not sure what Gov Perry will do though. It all depends on what the wording is in the bill.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 9:01 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• Oh I don't know. In MN we have every race,religion,nationality in the world living here,legal or not,and we don't "check papers" yet. I hope it stays that way. We are a melting pot.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 10:38 AM on Dec. 3, 2010