Single Mothers: How do you make your child feel special when you are dating?

I've got a new man in my life, and he and my daughter seem to get along wonderfully. However, her counselor said today that she may feel threatened by him, and the possible chance of rejection from him and me.

She suggested enforcing that she will always be number one in my life, and is special to me.

How would you do this? What would you say? What actions would you take?

A little background: She's 3, and her father molested her nearly a year ago, and hasn't been in the picture since.

mrskrisher

Asked by mrskrisher at 7:07 PM on Dec. 2, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Do some special things....... just her and you. Maybe a special mom and daughter day every week or two. Call it that and let her know what a special day it is. It doesn't have to be elaborate ....you could go to the park, or out to lunch, a children's museum, etc. Tell her exactly what you just posted.....that she is special and will always be the most important thing /person in the world to you. You could have these mom and daughter days forever. A new tradition.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:13 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• unless she is being neglected, or he is taking time away from her. You don't need to go out of your way, she is 3, she'll roll with it and be fine.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 7:21 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• When my oldest was little I would take him with us sometimes. It wouldn't hurt anything & that way it kinda lets the guy know that u 2 go hand n hand. Since she was molested she may not b completely comfortable around some men. I don't know. I would still do the date day with her tho. That sounds not only like a good idea but it would b fun too.
    amy197

Answer by amy197 at 12:09 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• First of all, I would not borrow trouble just because a counselor put that idea in your head. She should always be number one, and if she is...there is no problem...right? Don't change, just keep doing things with her as usual. Add him if you like, make sure you have alone time with her, and live life.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:44 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• include them in what u and him do
    Babygirl121307

Answer by Babygirl121307 at 12:19 PM on Dec. 3, 2010