Should we ban the use of the word 'holiday' except when it pertains to "holy days"?

I use the word "Christmas" to describe December 25th--day my family celebrates a special day of gift-giving and enjoying time together--like Thanksgiving with presents. Unfortunately some Christians have a problem with those of us who are not Christian using that word, complaining that since we don't believe in their god, we should not be allowed to use the word "Christmas".

To me, the word has the same generic meaning as "holiday" to describe "vacation". "Holiday" is derived from "Holy Day". Should we be banned from using the word "holiday" if we aren't talking about or celebrating a religious day? How far should we take these complaints?

Does it really matter if I say Christmas when I'm referring to December 25th--a day that isn't even really the date of Jesus' birth?

jsbenkert

Asked by jsbenkert at 7:12 PM on Dec. 2, 2010 in Religious Debate

• I'll never understand it honestly. I celebrate christmas. So WHAT if I am an atheist!!
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 7:14 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• No, and it is dumb that people care.
    AbsoluteSelf

Answer by AbsoluteSelf at 7:14 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I think a lot of christians have a you know what shoved you know where! lmao! my df's father once refused to donate to the salvation army because yje bell ringer said happy holidays instead of merry christmas!
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 7:16 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• "my df's father once refused to donate to the salvation army because yje bell ringer said happy holidays instead of merry christmas! "

Yes let's NOT give to people who need it b/c of semantics! HOly crap!! That is ridiculous!
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 7:17 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• – collapse
    Seriously?!?! You don't get this ... you know what etymology is, right? Shall we review?

Christmas, comes from CHRIST's Mass. It is funny to here a person insist on celebrating a holiday, which origin comes from the birth of God's son, when they don't believe that God much less God's son, exists.

It is I R O N Y
    Gal51

Answer by Gal51 at 7:17 PM on Dec. 2, 2010 (hidden) + expand

• No, we shouldn't. And no, it doesn't matter.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 7:17 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• to Gal51: yes it does originate from christ's mass but christmas has changed. its now a generalized holiday about giving to others.
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 7:21 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Gal...the question is...WHY does it irritate you so much? Why does it matter what I or others celebrate OR what we call it? I celebrate christmas, but not for religious reasons. Whats the problem?
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 7:23 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Christmas is SECULAR! If it were a solely religious holiday Banks and Mail Offices would remain open! It's only religious to those who add the religious elements in, not on a larger scale...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 7:23 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Gal--the ORIGINS of Christmas are actually older than Christianity. It's call syncretism when new religions merge with or embrace old traditions and ideas of older religions. Why does it matter whether people choose to call it Christmas or something else? People just want to have fun, and share some love and good will with their family and friends. I don't understand why it's a problem.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 7:25 PM on Dec. 2, 2010