Single Mothers: How do you make your child feel special when you are dating?

I've got a new man in my life, and he and my daughter seem to get along wonderfully. However, her counselor said today that she may feel threatened by him, and the possible chance of rejection from him and me.

She suggested enforcing that she will always be number one in my life, and is special to me.

How would you do this? What would you say? What actions would you take?

A little background: She's 3, and her father molested her nearly a year ago, and hasn't been in the picture since.

mrskrisher

Asked by mrskrisher at 7:21 PM on Dec. 2, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• That is a hard one.
    AbsoluteSelf

Answer by AbsoluteSelf at 7:24 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Does she like movies? Take her to one of the new childrens movies coming out, or take her to the mall and buy her a pretty dress or something she would like. I don't know where you live but at the malls here they have stores that the lil girl can dress up at and it is so cute, or take her to Build-a-Bear. Make cookies together or go get manicures (if she will sit still long enough) or do eachothers nails.
    I'm so sorry you two had to go through that... GL and good foir you for being such a strong Mommy!
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 7:29 PM on Dec. 2, 2010